The Links/Insulation

General discussion on all issues relating to Donabate and Portrane
daveyboy

Folks, have been living in Donabate now for 12 years in an apartment and having starting a family it’s time for us to move on if we can keep up with the property prices! One of the estates we are interested in is the Links. We’d be keen to add a bit of insulation to the walls before moving in if we do buy here and I’m just wondering if there’s any residents here who’ve done this job and have any tips? i.e can the walls be pumped or is it better to add insulation to the internal walls? Thanks
Vlad the Impaler

I know a guy in the links that got external insulation.

It is cavilty blocks rather than cavity walls I believe, so can’t be pumped.

A good front porch and top rated windows may suffice. And the roof space of course.
daveyboy

Much appreciated Vlad. Can't beat local knowledge
Bill_Lumbergh
Site Admin

Adding insulation internally (as in, to the plasterboard) would be a big job and would reduce the size of the rooms significantly. I know someone getting external insulation done atm (in town) and it looks great - a lot easier to do although I'm not sure how it would be finished on a semi-detatched house (where you house meets your neighbours).

We bought an unfinished house a few years ago and while finishing it, fitted an airtight menbrane to the roof and airtightness tape to the windows and doors. The difference it makes just from stopping / controlling the airflow of hot air out, was unbelievable.
Random Citizen

Read Derek's good advice here:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2186&p=11257&hilit= ... ion#p11257

I feel that air-tightness is possibly more important than the insulation, especially if the house faces the green and has no shelter from the wind.
daveyboy

Thanks Folks, yeah I found that post alright. Very Useful. Good point about facing the green. Nice to look out on the green all the same I'm sure. Always find there's a nice atmosphere in the Links