Fingal express to city centre

General discussion on all issues relating to Donabate and Portrane
Apples16

Hi all,

I've recently just moved to Donabate and work in the city centre. I've been switching between Dublin bus (33d) in mornings or train to city centre, mostly depending on weather and times I leave it. I notice it's near impossible to get a seat on the train and stand daily like most people. I've used the bus but considering their is only one service daily (each way) it's not always feasible to get this service.

I emailed Fingal Express to see if they are considering a service to city centre due to high volumes of people travelling from Donabate to city and the fact it's only going to increase here due more houses etc in local area.

Fingal replied with 'Thanks for your message. We are always open to expanding the service, particularly in the Fingal area, and if you could give me an idea of times that you think would suit this would be useful. Also, if you know anybody else who would like to see this service in the area, it would be good if they could get in contact. Requests such as yours are helpful when applying to the National Transport Authority for any new licence to operate in a certain area so the more requests we receive the better.'

If anyone is interested in them providing such a service can you please email them (I went through their Facebook page) and raise this query again? The more that reply, the better chance it could happen in the near future.

Thanks
Mr. Stupid

Try setting up a facebook page specifically for this. That might help.
triton

Hi Apples this is a great idea.. I would see be interested and I know 2/3 more ppl that would also be interested. Maybe if a facebook page was created there might be more interest?
Derek

Hi Apples16. We had several more 33D's running at one stage following their inception due to the collapse of the Malahide Rail Viaduct in 2009. When the viaduct was replaced and the rail line reopened, we persuaded Dublin Bus to leave the 33D running as many commuters expressed a preference for the bus over the train.

However many for their own reasons drifted back to the train and the numbers using the buses tailed off significantly. One by one, the buses were withdrawn due to the fall off in demand and in fact, Dublin Bus also wanted to axe the one remaining bus altogether or route it through Swords, thereby making the journey time uncompetitive. Believe me, we are very lucky to have keep it as is thus far!

Whilst an additional operator like Fingal would be welcome, I do wonder if they too would have the same problem as Dublin Bus with the expected numbers simply not materialising.
Harry Byrne

These 'Express' services are vey successful in areas where there is no train or where Dublin Bus / Bus Eireann is painfully slow. I doubt such a service would get sufficient traction here. Long term I would l would prefer to see extra capacity on the trains. Or Dart.
Big_dirt

It is the CIE way. Provide an inadequate service, or even none at all. Then point to the fact that there is nobody using it as justification for cancelling or not expanding it.

I have no doubt that if a regular, reliable, comfortable service could be implemented, that it would get massive use.

That goes for late trains as well as regular buses.

Even if they would extend the 33b to the airport and open up all the other services there to us, it would make a massive difference.