Antisocial Behavior (Please read Admin Note before posting)

General discussion on all issues relating to Donabate and Portrane
maurizio

flatfoot, I understand where you are coming from. That said, I believe that taking care of these issues is the responsibility of Gardai, not ours. As good citizens we should and must try to do as much as possible to help Gardai in these matters - but if we feel that we are not being heard or that things are not improving, then I think we should escalate things (organize rallies, peaceful protests outside Garda clinic and such) to make sure we are indeed heard.

I'd also advise against acting against these individuals. Things can get from bad to worse very quickly. I was myself attacked in Dublin (near Annesley Bridge) few years ago by a bunch of, yes, kids - I could have dealt with them individually of course, but five against one? At the end of the day, that's what police is there for, that's what we pay our taxes for - if things don't work, we need to find a way to make them work. The fact that nothing is being done after such a long time (incidents have been happening on a regular basis for at least 6-7 months) will only reinforce the message that Donabate is a free for all when it comes to anti social and/or criminal behavior.

Last, as I already mentioned to our councillors, our railway station being unsupervised at week-ends/nights it's, to put it bluntly, a disgrace. The place is simply creepy on a misty January week-end. I'm not at all surprised that most of the problems are coming from that side (after having seen what happened to Howth Junction station), and I think that sorting out that problem could well be more important than having a true Garda station in Donabate (but maybe I'm being naive).

For this reason, I've suggested to use the (empty) station car park on week-ends for other purpose - for instance, we used to have a nice Saturday market, which got moved to the community centre and then died (as nobody was 'walking' there). Or the car boot market in the car park near the entrance of Turvey avenue from the R132. Why can't the station car park be used for such things? That would be a way to make the place feel more lively, and that alone can do a lot in terms of preventing troubles.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broken_windows_theory
Flatfoot

Patsman I 100% agree that incidents overstated on the forum and if you look at the bigger picture of crime in Dublin we are lucky. My main concern is how issues are dealt with. Sorry for repeating myself but I believe the policing policy for the peninsula needs to change. If the Garda Clinic was held on a weekend afternoon outside Super Value it would act as a clinic and a deterrent.
Ken
Site Admin

Flatfoot wrote:To bad we can't post descriptions of what they look like on the forum.Shame as everyone could keep an eye out for them in the village.
Feel free to set up your own forum or Facebook page to name or post descriptions of the supposed culprits. Suggest you have a good read of this first.

https://www.lawyer.ie/defamation/
Regards,

Ken.
Flatfoot

:roll:
Bawner

It's only defamation if it's false.

If anyone feels in any way intimidated by a teenager or group of teenagers report it to the guards under Part 13 of Criminal Justice Act. Refer to this link.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/ju ... ldren.html

Throwing stones is a step up from antisocial behaviour. If possible video them in action or after the incident so they can be identified and report it to guards. Odds are they are already known to them.
mirror

Write-up in the Dublin Gazette about this yesterday
John Blowick

mirror wrote:Write-up in the Dublin Gazette about this yesterday
Ah shure their only 14 year old "Lads"....bit of oul handbags Don't be judgin them now !
Defcom

I cant understand why we the community cant organise together and stop this, with or without the backing of the garda. Older people afraid to use the village in which they grew up absolutely disgusting.
patsman

I am an older person (over60) and have no problem using the village day or night. I feel quite safe walking down and home from keelings pub.
mirror

Cheers Derek for the link , yeah thats the one.I'm glad you shared that patsman, I also feel save around Donabate.
Defcom

The village is clearly not safe given peoples testimony both on this thread and a previous thread which was closed earlier.
jayflame

Garda car outside church today. Village is quiet today
Robynk

I think this is a huge issue i mean its not only just at the train station i was cycling back from the shop and a gang of teens threw a roll at me :? The gangs normally comment on things i do aswell although this may seem important but if it not fixed it become a large issue i used to feel quite safe in donabate but now i feel quite threathend! This isnt how it should be
rollerlee

There is tiny bit of hysteria growing up around this whole thing. We have a very young population and a growing group of teenagers. The vast majority of the kids in the village are absolutely great kids and they are genuinely just hanging around, chasing boys/girls etc - no more than a lot of us did in our own day.

There are a few kids that come down from other areas and again most of them are grand kids too. This whole "next thing they will be stabbing each other' is just nonsense. All over the world, in every country, rich and poor, in every city and each part of every city there are testosterone filled lads of 14-18 who get into the odd locking of horns with each other - on this forum, that equates to gangland activity and a precursor to murder.

This evening I went for a run in Newbridge, there were 3 young lads or 15 or 16 lying in the middle of the path with their bikes all around them - deliberately trying to be a nuicance, a young mother had to walk around them onto the grass with her buggy and a little toddler, she was clearly uncomfortable- so I stopped, said "lads, will move yourselves and your bikes off the path there please, can you not see that girl wanted to get past you or having to walk around you?" They eyed me up for a second, said that they had a puncture, looked at me, looked at each other and then they moved out of the way - so I thanked them, said "fair play lads, thanks for that, do you need a hand with the puncture? I have a tube in the house if you need it?"- they said they were 'grand' and I went on my way. End of story, no-one got stabbed, no-one got shot. If they hadn't moved, I would have moved them myself, I don't care if they are 14 or 25 - respect can be learned or taught and it's a two way street.

I see people scurry into Supervalu terrified of a few kids hanging around outside. Try saying hello, they don't bite - instead it's back home to post on the forum about how afraid and intimidated they were because some kids looked at them or had music on, or were [gasp] kissing/laughing/talking or whatever. It's not the Bronx, it's Donabate.

Donabate is a fantastic little village, if the general thought is that it is now 'dangerous' the people saying that must have had a very sheltered upbringing, stone throwing, throwing paint etc, they are crimes, report it to the Gardai or sort them out directly, there is maximum one or two young lads that might need to be 'taught' some respect - if their parents can't do it - do it yourself.
patsman

well said rolaree i agree entirely.
[quote][/quote]
Jellyhead

rollerlee wrote:There is tiny bit of hysteria growing up around this whole thing. We have a very young population and a growing group of teenagers. The vast majority of the kids in the village are absolutely great kids and they are genuinely just hanging around, chasing boys/girls etc - no more than a lot of us did in our own day.

There are a few kids that come down from other areas and again most of them are grand kids too. This whole "next thing they will be stabbing each other' is just nonsense. All over the world, in every country, rich and poor, in every city and each part of every city there are testosterone filled lads of 14-18 who get into the odd locking of horns with each other - on this forum, that equates to gangland activity and a precursor to murder.

This evening I went for a run in Newbridge, there were 3 young lads or 15 or 16 lying in the middle of the path with their bikes all around them - deliberately trying to be a nuicance, a young mother had to walk around them onto the grass with her buggy and a little toddler, she was clearly uncomfortable- so I stopped, said "lads, will move yourselves and your bikes off the path there please, can you not see that girl wanted to get past you or having to walk around you?" They eyed me up for a second, said that they had a puncture, looked at me, looked at each other and then they moved out of the way - so I thanked them, said "fair play lads, thanks for that, do you need a hand with the puncture? I have a tube in the house if you need it?"- they said they were 'grand' and I went on my way. End of story, no-one got stabbed, no-one got shot. If they hadn't moved, I would have moved them myself, I don't care if they are 14 or 25 - respect can be learned or taught and it's a two way street.

I see people scurry into Supervalu terrified of a few kids hanging around outside. Try saying hello, they don't bite - instead it's back home to post on the forum about how afraid and intimidated they were because some kids looked at them or had music on, or were [gasp] kissing/laughing/talking or whatever. It's not the Bronx, it's Donabate.

Donabate is a fantastic little village, if the general thought is that it is now 'dangerous' the people saying that must have had a very sheltered upbringing, stone throwing, throwing paint etc, they are crimes, report it to the Gardai or sort them out directly, there is maximum one or two young lads that might need to be 'taught' some respect - if their parents can't do it - do it yourself.
Very well said. I love it!!
There is far too much scare mongering going on in this great little village between negativity in forums, facebook and alert groups. People need to change their attitudes towards our younger generation.
Derek

Heading to work earlier and noticed what looks like a lot of bottles smashed around The Links over the weekend. Quite a bit of broken glass about the roadway. I'll try gather up what I can up later today.
bear

Derek wrote:Heading to work earlier and noticed what looks like a lot of bottles smashed around The Links over the weekend. Quite a bit of broken glass about the roadway. I'll try gather up what I can up later today.
I over heard a conversation in Supervalu last Saturday morning that a mini riot happneed in the Links on Friday night.
Didn't read anything here or on different forums so I thought no more about it.FYI. I'm not saying a riot did happen!!!!
Derek

bear wrote:
Derek wrote:Heading to work earlier and noticed what looks like a lot of bottles smashed around The Links over the weekend. Quite a bit of broken glass about the roadway. I'll try gather up what I can up later today.
I over heard a conversation in Supervalu last Saturday morning that a mini riot happneed in the Links on Friday night.
Didn't read anything here or on different forums so I thought no more about it.FYI. I'm not saying a riot did happen!!!!
Heard nothing about disturbances or indeed heard anything myself other than the broken glass. A couple of "loud" individuals did go through early Sunday morning bouncing and kicking a football but that was about it.