Beaverstown Road - Proposed Development of 36 Houses

Ken
Site Admin

Some of you may be aware of a new development of 36 houses currently in the planning process above Cois Inbhir close to Beaverstown Golf Club. I only became aware of this after a recent article in the Fingal Independent.

The original plans submitted were for this development to gain access to Beaverstown Road via Cois Inbhir. However, due to objections by several Cois Inbhir residents, the developer has now been requested to investigate the possibility of gaining access to Beaverstown Road by other means.

While I wholeheartedly support the Cois Inbhir Residents in this objection, I feel strongly that Beaverstown Road is already at full capacity and that future developments should not be accessing the Portrane Road via this route.

You can view the original planning documents and recent submissions below (note there are four pages of documents).

http://planning.fingalcoco.ie/swiftlg/a ... =F16A/0542

You will see that the revised plans are to have a new road linking the development and Beaverstown Road approximately 100m before the entrance to Beaverstown Golf Club.

If you live along Beaverstown Road or one of the estates adjoining it, you will no doubt be aware that the road is already very busy and is beyond capacity at peak school times where it can take 10-15 minutes to gain access to Portrane Road. There are also inadequate crossing facilities for estates towards the top of the Beaverstown Road which is a particular issue when children are walking to and from school. The fact that this development will also increase traffic at the one-way system on Lamb’s corner is also of concern.

We’ve discussed planning around the peninsula multiple times on the site and the lack of joined up thinking from the planning authorities. This is yet another example where additional traffic will be added to a road which already has a one-way system at a bad bend, two schools and an inadequate junction with Portrane Road.

You may feel that this is only a small development and that additional traffic from 36 houses won’t make that much difference. However, there is significant land for sale around this development which will likely be rezoned. If an entry/exit onto Beaverstown Road is established at this point, we can be sure it will be also used for future developments on adjacent lands.

I don’t oppose development on the peninsula, but I would argue that these new developments should have their own access to Portrane Road. This would also allow them access to the future link road bypassing the village.

If you are potentially impacted by this and wish to submit a comment/observation, you can do so for a fee of €20. Details for submitting an online observation are attached. This isn’t an appeal as planning permission has not yet been granted. This is to make a submission that will be considered by FCC before granting or denying permission. You have five weeks to submit observations from the time the application was made which appears to be 14/03/2017. Observations can also be made in writing to:

Fingal County Council
Planning Department
County Hall
Swords
Co. Dublin

Reference planning application F16A/0542.

I will also be making my concerns known to our local representatives.
Attachments
eSubmission Instructions.doc
(2.27 MiB) Downloaded 218 times
Regards,

Ken.
Vlad the Impaler

In terms of access to the Portrane Road, I think there's a need for a mini roundabout at the bottom there.
Ken
Site Admin

Vlad the Impaler wrote:In terms of access to the Portrane Road, I think there's a need for a mini roundabout at the bottom there.
Debatable as to whether it would do much at peak times as it would most likely favour traffic on the main road. Lights with a pedestrian crossing may give some improvement.
Regards,

Ken.
Mr. Stupid

My big issue with a lot of the development being planned is that most of it is all the same. Small 3 bed semi's a few 4 beds and more apartments. We are out in the sticks and some of the houses / gardens should be bigger and the footpaths, roads should be wider and heck we should have cycle lanes.

Instead of being properly planned we are being used as a political pawn to solve a so called housing crisis. It's a boom / bust model and when the next bust happens we'll still be waiting for the Dart which was supposed to be here by 2015.
pat mustard

Unfortunately we Irish dont really grasp the concept of roundabouts very well. we even park on them.
Bill_Lumbergh
Site Admin

Mr. Stupid wrote:My big issue with a lot of the development being planned is that most of it is all the same. Small 3 bed semi's a few 4 beds and more apartments. We are out in the sticks and some of the houses / gardens should be bigger and the footpaths, roads should be wider and heck we should have cycle lanes.
Completely agree. I reviewed the plans for the big development at the back of Carrs Mill and a lot of them seem to be 2 bedroom houses! oO
Bill_Lumbergh
Site Admin

Ken wrote: The original plans submitted were for this development to gain access to Beaverstown Road via Cois Inbhir. However, due to objections by several Cois Inbhir residents, the developer has now been requested to investigate the possibility of gaining access to Beaverstown Road by other means.

While I wholeheartedly support the Cois Inbhir Residents in this objection, I feel strongly that Beaverstown Road is already at full capacity and that future developments should not be accessing the Portrane Road via this route.
Access via Cois Inbhir has the same result though - traffic up the Beaverstown Road. I'd recommend making sure your wording reflects that that also is unacceptable.
Ken
Site Admin

Bill_Lumbergh wrote:Access via Cois Inbhir has the same result though - traffic up the Beaverstown Road. I'd recommend making sure your wording reflects that that also is unacceptable.
Absolutely. The impact on Beaverstown Road is the issue and I'll refer to previous submissions that I'm fully in agreement with. I would have submitted my concerns regarding the original plans only I wasn't aware of them at the time.
Regards,

Ken.
Bill_Lumbergh
Site Admin

At the end of the day, I bet you a beer that the developer of the site at Cois Inbhir will hand a bag of cash to the developer of the site at the back of Carrs Mill, and traffic will flow through Carrs Mill instead :(
Ken
Site Admin

Bill_Lumbergh wrote:At the end of the day, I bet you a beer that the developer of the site at Cois Inbhir will hand a bag of cash to the developer of the site at the back of Carrs Mill, and traffic will flow through Carrs Mill instead :(
Not if Carrs Mill residents get organised. It's not that far for them to get access directly to Portrane Road.
Regards,

Ken.
Derek

I found this gem that was published yesterday.

http://rebuildingireland.ie/install/wp- ... _FINAL.pdf

Donabate gets a glowing mention in it plus €15.5m set aside for the distributor road. During the LAP a few years ago, was it not stated then that the developers themselves or developer levies would be used to fund this? IMO the distributor road is no good without redoing the Hearse Rd entirely. There's no mention of the DART coming either despite other areas in the plan getting a mention of a new station

Extract relating to Donabate below (my emphasis is on the red portions):

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Fingal County Council Donabate Distributor Road €15.5m

Public Infrastructure:
The proposed public infrastructure includes:-
: Distributor Road
: Bridge over railway line

Housing Delivery:-
This is a Major Urban Housing Development Site. It is located to the north of the city on the Dublin/Belfast rail line. The proposed Donabate distributor road includes a bridge over the railway line and supports significant residential development including the capacity for mixed tenure on Council owned land.
The existing road network within the peninsula consists of two major roads, the R126 Hearse Road from Swords/ M1 in the southwest and Turvey Avenue in the northwest. These roads intersect near Donabate Train Station at a bridge over the railway line. This is the only crossing point over the railway line, and acts as a bottle neck at peak traffic times. The development potential of lands to the east of this railway bridge has been severely constrained over previous years due to the restricted road network capacity at this location.
There is projected yield of approximately 1,200 housing units by 2021 and 2,200 longer term.
Ken
Site Admin

I think we're going to need planning/development section on the forum. There will be a lot more posts on these types of topics in the forseeable future.
Regards,

Ken.
Banacht

The builder of the new 36 houses has purchased the "Tir Na Nog" lands opposite the beaverstown golf club entrance.
He has already sent plans to fingal co.co proposed the building of another 10 houses to be built behind the first 6 houses in Cois Inbhir.
DocHoliday

Ken
Just to let you know all submissions must be in by close of business on April 4th . This is additional information that was requested by Fingal so there is a shorter time frame to reply , because the additional information is deemed as significant people who haven't previously lodged an observation/objection can now lodge one before April 4th with Fingal and pay the €20 fee . If you already submitted an observation/ objection you can submit again at no cost and it can be done online , but must be done before close of business on April 4th . There's a lot in the developers additional information about the Donabate Local Area plan not being a legal document and they can build to higher density than it states in LAP according to national guidelines etc .
Ken
Site Admin

Cheers, looks like we need to move fast on this.
Regards,

Ken.
AHel

Folks, thanks for the notification of this, I'll be making my views known to our local reps.

As mentioned by others, the Beaverstown Road is already a very busy stretch of road and the idea of construction trucks joining the other traffic is worrying. In addition to the traffic, the drainage issues along the road outside the Educate Together school still have been fixed, everytime it rains, there is excess water on the road.

It's a good idea to have a planning/development section on this forum and possibly having a public meeting in the area to discuss all the forthcoming developments on the peninsula.
Ken
Site Admin

I think the best way to have an impact at this stage is to submit observations to the official process. Hopefully it can be nipped in the bud at this stage. I will also contact local representatives, but the official FCC planning process is where the decision will be made.
Regards,

Ken.
Ken
Site Admin

Quick update on the above. There were a significant number of observations mostly from Cois Inbhir residents. The builder has been asked for clarification around the additional information previously provided. Details of what was requested are attached.
Esub notify dec to request CAI_235 (002).docx
(53.13 KiB) Downloaded 331 times
Regards,

Ken.
Ken
Site Admin

For those interested, the developer has answered the additional information request from FCC. Details in the Documents section via the link in the first post.
Regards,

Ken.