New Houses at Beresford

General discussion on all issues relating to Donabate and Portrane
CM27

I'd be happy to help as well , this would be of Major concern to me as a beresford resident

The estate was not designed to take this many houses !
Salf

If it helps anyone, I've drafted a letter that I intend to send to local reps. It outlines all of our concerns. I can send a copy to anyone who wants one and they can add in their own thoughts etc. etc.
Portman

Hi Salf, also new to the Forum. I would be interested in looking at the draft letter to get an idea for my own objection.
Ste

Hi all, relatively new to Beresford and have seen the application. Whoever dropped the letter last night thank you very much as it adresses my concerns too! Would love to get imvolved with objection/drafting own in relation to access through Beresford, design and proximity of Appartments to nature reserve etc.
Ste

Salf wrote:If it helps anyone, I've drafted a letter that I intend to send to local reps. It outlines all of our concerns. I can send a copy to anyone who wants one and they can add in their own thoughts etc. etc.
Hi Salf, would love to have a copy!
newtodonabate

Same here, we would like to get involved as we will be moving to Beresford soon.
ppoppa

You can also email your formal objection to amy.finn@fingal.ie. Make sure to quote the Reference

then you can ring up 01 890 5756 to pay the €20 fee by Card

The issues I see is
-traffic volume increase, more noise from cars, traffic safety/ limited access issues entrance is quite tricky when there is any oncoming cars (but the fact that volume is currently low isn't an issue but the additional units will increase this risk
-Height 3 storey 5 Beds are not in line with current Beresford development, these 3 storey's will have some overlooking issues into residents in Beverton and or Beresford, there are alternative suitable sites in Donabate i.e. unfinished estates if Fingal Needs the Housing.

If people are not confident in submitting a robust objection they should contact a professional planning consultant . About 10 years ago I used Fingal Planning consultants http://www.fpc.ie/ I'm not sure if they help structure a objection or just do planning applications.
Salf

Hi all. I think I need to post 3 times before I can send private notes to people so this should now allow me to contact you directly with the letter we sent.

Just as an FYI, a local TD has already responded to express his support of the concerns and has said he will also make a submission on our behalf.
rataan

TheBlowIn wrote:Anything should help, but I'd imagine multiple observations from individuals would have more weight than a single petition, presuming people actually make them.
I agree with BlowIn, I think that a large amount of individual objections would have a lot more impact than a single petition. It’s great to see the response from all of us so far, and hopefully it will lead to a large number of residents submitting objections. It might do no harm to submit a petition as well as individual letters. However, the priority should be ensuring that as many of us as possible submit individual appeals.
rataan

Salf wrote:If it helps anyone, I've drafted a letter that I intend to send to local reps. It outlines all of our concerns. I can send a copy to anyone who wants one and they can add in their own thoughts etc. etc.
Salf wrote:Just as an FYI, a local TD has already responded to express his support of the concerns and has said he will also make a submission on our behalf.

That’s great news Salf on the reply from the TD that you’ve already received. Please pass me on a copy of your letter as well. There are 5 sitting TD’s in the constituency. I think we should all contact each of them, individually. Any assistance at all should help our cause and the more requests that the TD’s receive from us, the higher our cause would be on their list of priorities, I would think.
Austy

I live in Beverton Heights so while my objections will not be concerned so much with the road traffic through Beresford (although I completely agree with people's concerns - it is crazy to put vehicular access for 286 units through that roadway) , I thought I'd share some of the points that I will be making.

1.) As the 3 story houses and apartment block are no higher than the existing 3-4 bed house designs (5 bed house is just a 4 bed with converted attic, apartment block is the same 10m height as all other houses) I would object to the overall scale of the apartments. It's not in keeping with a traditional estate and further increases the population density, cars & traffic etc. As the crèche is next door, the additional vehicular movement is a concern for child safety.

2.) The bike rack and refuse centre for the apartments is located away from the apartments. The bike storage is likely to draw anti social behaviour and attempted thefts as it is away from the main building. The refuse storage is to the east of the estate, any foul smells will be carried with the westerly wind direction across the crèche and remainder of the estate.
In addition, any refuse storage out buildings that I have seen have always been a draw for illegal dumping.

3.) Who's responsibility will it be to maintain the apartments? An apartment block without a comprehensive and effective management in place will quickly look run down in what would otherwise look like a community focused estate (going by Beresford & Beverton)

4.) Turvey Avenue is narrow and dangerous when approaching the village from the old Belfast & Dublin road, the only plus point is that the road is straight for the most part. However pedestrians must cross the road multiple times (and on blind corners) in order to safely navigate their way to the village and train station. This is a particularly stressful activity when pushing a pram/buggy on the road. Adding a further 286 units to the existing and on-going housing developments in that immediate area is only going to increase the likelihood that someone will be injured or killed while crossing the road. While the recent introduction of speed ramps has for the most part slowed traffic, there are still motorists driving through that section (50kph limit) at upwards to 80kph.

5.) General infrastructure in Donabate is creaking at the seams, a huge number of commuters are using the train daily - with this and other planned residential developments in the future, how will this be catered for? There are multiple single and multi vehicle collisions on the Hearse Road on a monthly basis, again more traffic increases the likelihood that this will happen with greater frequency and unfortunately with greater risk of serious injury.

6.) While the developer has included a crèche in the plans for the new development (and also the crèche being built in Beresford), has anything been done to cater for children of school going age? As the majority of buyers of the houses in the new developments will be families or those starting a family, how will these children be catered for?

I'll try and add a few things over Christmas and submit before the deadline in January.

Great to see community spirit hard at work!!!
Salf

Thanks Austy for this. It's great to have the support of neighbouring estates and get a perspective on their concerns which we may not have thought of.

Hopefully we can get as many people to submit as possible. Thanks to rataan's note, everyone is now aware and in a position to do something about it.

Also, the more people that email the local representatives the better. It can't do any harm.
Portman

Hi Salf,
Good news on the TD support. Have to post twice more before i can PM you. Happy Christmas
Portman

And a prosperous new year to all my new neighbours
Herder

Great to see so many in and around Beresfort getting involved in this!
Key is to get as many of us as possible to file individual objections - the earlier the better! Deadline is 11th January but Fingal County Council website says this: "Early submission of your comments allows the planning
authority more time to consider them."

So if you have not filed an objection yet, please do it!
CM27

Hi All,

hope you're all enjoying the Christmas break

I received a mail back from Councillor Darragh Butler, stating he will discuss the matter , he did recommend that as many people as possible lodge an observation

I also noticed the number of submissions/observations has increased, hopefully this trend will continue ! :)
Salf

Hi all,

Hope you had a lovely Christmas.

The fingal independent have been in touch and are looking at doing a piece on the issue for next week. They want to get a group shot of some of the residents. Would anyone be free on Saturday (not sure what time yet) to get involved?

Also Alan Farrell TD and Cllr Justin Sinnott have since messaged me to say they will look into this so let's keep getting those submissions in.

Thanks!
Salf

Hi all,

11am tomorrow (Saturday) the photographer will come to do a group shot of anyone who is free to take part. If anyone is around it would be great to have as many as possible.

Thanks a mill!
jayflame

Hi, as a resident of 9 years and a future homeowner, I have serious concerns about the infrastructure and growth on the Donabate/Portrane peninsula.

If the headcount is required, name the place.

Appreciate all that everyone is doing here.

Jason
CM27

Hi Salf

will be there at 11 on sat thanks for organizing this
Herder

Hi Salf,

Thanks for organising this. We will be there at 11 tomorrow. Where will the photo shoot take place? At the entrance of the estate?
Kerryblowins

We're new to Beresford as well. Is there a sample letter for objecting. Apologies if it's in a previous page. Ill give a look later. Thanks
Austy

Word of advice, don't use a template letter. Write your own, by all means take other people's points but write them in your own words.
The same letter submitted numerous times will not be given due consideration by the council.
Kerryblowins

Hi Austy.
Thanks for the advice. Will do.
TheBlowIn

Reminder on this, submissions on the planning application must be made by 11 Jan at the latest.

As of today there are 15 published submissions on the Fingal website, which is a good start but represents only a fraction of the residents in the estate. Submissions are quick and easy to make, and could have a significant impact on our community in future.