New Houses at Beresford

General discussion on all issues relating to Donabate and Portrane
jayflame

Oh OK FCC, why not build more houses for more people to live in and use the current infrastructure.

Then they'll realise that they should have listened to the existing population and improved the current infrastructure first.

I guess they want lots of people stuck getting on and off the Donabate/Portrane peninsular whilst they pull their heads out of their backsides and improve the roads.

I predict at times, it will be quicker to cycle/walk to Swords.

There are planned housing increase all over the Peninsula, as well as improved infrastructure.
But which will come first?

Maybe we should petition for infrastructure before housing?
If the majority say yes, surely then they'll do it the right way round
Mr. Stupid

It's laughable that there is planning permission for an apartment block behind Beresford when they the Gallery has been unfinished for 6+ years.
Apples16

Having the access through Beresford is not good.

http://documents.fingalcoco.ie/Northgat ... 541979.pdf
jayflame

That unfinished block at The Gallery should be pulled down.
There's weeds growing out the brickwork and I'm sure there'll be a serious damp course inside then main structure.
It's been open to all the elements for about 7 years when work stopped overnight.

It was only in the last 2 years the scaffolding was taken down because it was rusty.

From the southbound platform of the station, you can see the RSJs for the balcony's are showing signs of rust and the internal concrete bricks have black mold.

Fingals current plans for the peninsular are a joke.
aido123

Will the name of this new estate also be called Beresford? & if so, with the addition of apartments, will this mean the introduction of management fees & would this be for everyone, houses and all? We were told initially & I have it in writing that there would be no management fees in this development.
Apples16

Are there any details on the Creche that's being built on the corner of Beresford Road & Place?

Also, any recommendations for tile companies/tiler to put them in?

Thank you
ppoppa

Just wondering if many people are going to put a planning objection based on the apartment height not fitting in with the current development and also the volume of traffic due to not having a separate access route NOT Via Beresford
ppoppa

newtodonabate

Apples16 wrote:Are there any details on the Creche that's being built on the corner of Beresford Road & Place?

Thank you
Hi Apples,

The creche will be called Roots and Wings and is due to start operating on Feb 6th.
You can find more details on their facebook page if you search for this name.

For tiles, the builder will be able to provide you contacts they recommend as a starting point.
Mr. Stupid

Anyone know the closing date for objection?
TheBlowIn

aido123 wrote:Will the name of this new estate also be called Beresford? & if so, with the addition of apartments, will this mean the introduction of management fees & would this be for everyone, houses and all? We were told initially & I have it in writing that there would be no management fees in this development.
Whatever it's called and however it's managed, the new development can't impose management fees on the existing Beresford development. Management company provisions are usually written into the deeds/contracts for new developments, and for the existing Beresford development these obviously don't exist. The planning permission has provisions for Fingal CoCo to take the estate in charge once it's complete, i.e., the original 155-odd units are finished along with services etc.

I'd expect that there would be management charges for the apartments as these have shared services (buildings insurance, lifts/stairs etc.).
TheBlowIn

Apples16 wrote:Are there any details on the Creche that's being built on the corner of Beresford Road & Place?

Thank you
Ciaran McQuaile from the Priory did a beautiful job of our tiling, would be happy to recommend him.
TheBlowIn

ppoppa wrote:Just wondering if many people are going to put a planning objection based on the apartment height not fitting in with the current development and also the volume of traffic due to not having a separate access route NOT Via Beresford
Yes, at a minimum an objection on traffic grounds is a no-brainer.
TheBlowIn

Mr. Stupid wrote:Anyone know the closing date for objection?
11th Jan according to the planning application on Fingal's site.
Apples16

TheBlowIn wrote:
ppoppa wrote:Just wondering if many people are going to put a planning objection based on the apartment height not fitting in with the current development and also the volume of traffic due to not having a separate access route NOT Via Beresford
Yes, at a minimum an objection on traffic grounds is a no-brainer.
Agreed, from looking at the current/planned map of Beresford (including the part that isn't even started yet) the idea that the current road could take all that extra traffic is a non-starter.

I've no experience of doing an objection, is there a good reference/template?
Apples16

TheBlowIn wrote:

Thank you
Ciaran McQuaile from the Priory did a beautiful job of our tiling, would be happy to recommend him.
BlowIn, would you mind sending his details by DM?

Thanks
aido123

I'd also like to put in an objection on the traffic grounds. Will this be a pointless exercise considering the government are favouring fast tracking such developments?
rataan

I only seen this planning application now, by chance! I was not aware of it up until today! I would say that most of our neighbours are not aware either. I think we’re going to have to act fast on this. January 11th will come around very quickly. I think we should start by putting a short letter with an accompanying map through everybody’s letterbox.

I think a lot of people will just assume that somebody else is going to look after this for them, so I think some of us should come together and organise. After distributing the letter and map, we should then follow up in the subsequent days by going door to door to get signatures from everybody to include in the planning objection. All local TD’s should also be contacted to see if they are willing to provide any assistance to us.

I will volunteer myself to start off by providing the information letter and map to each house. If anybody else feels that this is the right course of action and are willing to help me collect the signatures or contact TD’s, please get in touch via direct message. Likewise, if people have better suggestions please post or direct message.
Austy

There has been one objection lodged and is available on the planning site documents to be viewed.
One interesting point is that the block of apartments is roughly the same height as the surrounding houses, so making the point in any objection that it will be two high won't fly with the planning department.
Instead, the large scale and and block nature of it might be a better way of objecting to it - i.e.: object based on the fact that it is out of place in a traditional housing estate.

One point I also heard from someone was that the pedestrian/cycle access was used in some of the other estates in Donabate by criminals robbing homes. They would have a car waiting on the other side of the pedestrian entrance to make their getaway and the victim can't give chase!
rataan

Another idea for an objection that somebody gave to me was that with an estate of this size (Beresford + New Development), if there is only one access route there would be health and safety concerns for the residents. If the only access route was somehow blocked, a lot of people would be impacted in the case of an emergency and Fire or Ambulance services could not get to them.
TheBlowIn

rataan wrote:I will volunteer myself to start off by providing the information letter and map to each house. If anybody else feels that this is the right course of action and are willing to help me collect the signatures or contact TD’s, please get in touch via direct message. Likewise, if people have better suggestions please post or direct message.
Well done rataan, presumably the letter drop this evening was your work.

Fingal's own guide to planning objections (http://www.fingalcoco.ie/media/Commenti ... cation.pdf) mentions the following as grounds for comment:

Appropriate land use (zoning);
Adherence to established planning and development practices;
Preservation, improvement and extension of amenities;
Traffic safety;
Development density, size, location etc;

The land has been zoned residential for some time and forms part of the Donabate LAP, so no arguments there. However, there are reasonable points on the other grounds that could be made. The key point is that the objections should relate to specific planning issues, compliance with the Donabate / Fingal LAP etc. Anything should help, but I'd imagine multiple observations from individuals would have more weight than a single petition, presuming people actually make them.

Personally, I fully expected the area behind Beresford to be developed and have no objection in principle with doing that. The original planning permission (F12A/0086) even shows very vague plans for this. However, the high density and very poor access are serious issues and need to be addressed.
Herder

Well done rataan, I got the letter today, thanks for taking the initiative.
I tried to message you directly to offer help, how can I do this through the forum? (I am sorry I never posted here before)
Ann O
Site Admin

Herder wrote:..I tried to message you directly to offer help, how can I do this through the forum? (I am sorry I never posted here before)
Welcome to the forum :)

You need to have made three posts before the private messaging option is available to you.
Salf

Thanks rataan for the note. We were not aware of this before. Happy to give you a hand with any further outreach.
Denzel

Would be happy to help also ..putting objection in today also this would have huge impact on me as every car passes my house on the way in and out of beresford so an additional 286 properties would have dreadful outcome ..