A few hundred new homes

General discussion on all issues relating to Donabate and Portrane
micropoodle

Planning application has gone up for about 230+ new homes behind Beresford.
There are another 80+ I believe to be built at the back of Somerton and I'm aware of another 100 or so in various places around the village.

We need housing. I get that and that's fine, however what's the situation with infrastructure?
Do the planning authorities act independently of the transport people for example?

400 or so new homes would equate to a conservative estimate of 1200 new people.
Our rush hour trains are full to capacity. Our Sunday service may as well not exist and our bus service travels between Portrane and Swords.

The educate together school has a waiting list and I'm not sure how the boys and girls national schools are in terms of capacity.

We don't have a ring road around the village and the Central Mental Hospital will have 300+ staff (an (un)-educated guess by the way!) arriving into the village 24 hours a day.

I guess my question is will the planning authorities take any of this into account when granting permission?
Links

Agreed, our council appears useless in long term planning
Mr. Stupid

Sad but true. Same happened to Lucan, Tallaght and Swords.

Donabate - YOU'RE NEXT!
Ghjk123

That's what planning objections are for. Go for it
BRUCE

400 new homes... 1200 (estimate) new people.

Say 200 new adults

maybe 150 of whom will work (yes stay at home parents work a tough job but these are excluded)

Some may work from home. Some may not work 9-5

So a conservative estimate = 100 additional adults working 9-5ish, some travel by train, some take the bus, some cycle. Some leave the house at 6am, others at 8am.

Obviously not all the houses will be built at the same time so what will we do.

hmmmm I get the that we need houses, i really do, but OBJECT OBJECT OBJECT. :D
McLovin

BRUCE wrote:400 new homes... 1200 (estimate) new people.

Say 200 new adults

maybe 150 of whom will work (yes stay at home parents work a tough job but these are excluded)

Some may work from home. Some may not work 9-5

So a conservative estimate = 100 additional adults working 9-5ish, some travel by train, some take the bus, some cycle. Some leave the house at 6am, others at 8am.

Obviously not all the houses will be built at the same time so what will we do.

hmmmm I get the that we need houses, i really do, but OBJECT OBJECT OBJECT. :D

Instead of objecting maybe check your maths before posting.

400 new houses but only 200 adults?? More like 800. Average family size is 4 so more like 1600 new people.

Schools at capacity, roads at breaking point. Accidents on hearse road on a daily basis.

No police presence either.
BRUCE

In all honestly I couldn't give a rashers. Don't live there anymore - Moved into a 5000m2 mansion in Malahide... it was my butler posted this. Boy he's in trouble. Toodles
bronorton

Yes will be a shame to lose the village feel and become just another town. All the houses and none if the amenities
Flatfoot

This Joker O Reilly again

Reilly explained that, “One of the provisions in this particular project is that at least 40 per cent of the housing should be at an affordable price. This is very important; given the way house prices have spiralled recently. From a whole host of viewpoints, for those people living in Donabate, this project is hugely important and for the wellbeing of both residents and businesses in the community of Donabate and Portrane. At the moment, Donabate is being strangled and it needs to be freed from this,” he said.

Is Donabate the only place in Fingal they can build Houses?

http://www.northcountyleader.ie/2016/12 ... -donabate/
Mr. Stupid

What happens next is the establishment judge the reaction to 40% affordable housing and then it turns into 40% social housing.
padraig

Flatfoot wrote:This Joker O Reilly again

Reilly explained that, “One of the provisions in this particular project is that at least 40 per cent of the housing should be at an affordable price. This is very important; given the way house prices have spiralled recently. From a whole host of viewpoints, for those people living in Donabate, this project is hugely important and for the wellbeing of both residents and businesses in the community of Donabate and Portrane. At the moment, Donabate is being strangled and it needs to be freed from this,” he said.

Is Donabate the only place in Fingal they can build Houses?

http://www.northcountyleader.ie/2016/12 ... -donabate/
It is a bit of a joke, when it was strange how he (when minister for health) and his consultants did not have a issue with the section of road at the bridge and infrastructure in Donabate in April 2014 when they announced the plans for the building of the new forensic hospital in Portrane.

I suppose he is just laying the ground works for the argument for modular housing (rapid build housing) in Donabate. This is the only way that they can build affordable at the moment, the latest figure show that the average selling price for a new 3 bed semi is around €328k and the build cost (land included) is around €323k in the Dublin area.

This will go some way in explaining why we have a "housing crisis" in the country, no builder is going to want to work on those profit margins
Mr. Stupid

Not so sure on those figure.
House prices are always cheaper in West Meath and cement is hardly any cheaper there.
So that brings it down to the land cost. Big variance there, whether it comes from Nama, someone who owned it for 30 years or whatever.
padraig

Sorry forgot to mention that's the average prices in the greater Dublin region. I think we still fall under that.
I think we might see a better resolve to the current housing issues if the government drop the vat rate from 23% to 15% for builders as suggested by Tom Parlon (the president of the Irish building federation) a while back. It's just to expensive for them to build at the moment in part due to the building regulation changes in the last few years.
Derek

For a builder, what would be a realistic profit margin on a new house?
padraig

Derek wrote:For a builder, what would be a realistic profit margin on a new house?
Derek, it looks like it could be around 9% of outset cost per project, but I surpose that's al relative to how the wider economy is performing. Taking in account the figures attached are dated and we have a supply and demand problem in the housing sector, it is difficult to gage.

http://businessecon.org/2013/01/what-is ... struction/
Mr. Stupid

padraig wrote:Sorry forgot to mention that's the average prices in the greater Dublin region. I think we still fall under that.
I think we might see a better resolve to the current housing issues if the government drop the vat rate from 23% to 15% for builders as suggested by Tom Parlon (the president of the Irish building federation) a while back. It's just to expensive for them to build at the moment in part due to the building regulation changes in the last few years.
That's all BS in my view.

There's a small bunch of people who want to make as much money out of people's need to buy a house as possible.

Watching how quick the Beresford Houses are going up (which are A energy rated) there isn't that much labour involved. Parlon is hardly going to say we want to make as much money out of this as possible.
padraig

Believe what you want mr Stupid.

But I'm sure you're aware of one of the golden rules of capitalism "the more you make (in this case what you build) the cheeper it gets".
TheBlowIn

Can anyone explain how all the various development plans / initiatives fit together? Off the top of my head I can think of the following:

1. Donabate Local Area Plan 2016: lots of submissions on this, but was it reviewed / updated / adopted?
2. Fingal Development Plan 2017-2013: does this incorporate the Donabate LAP 2016, update it etc.?
3. "New" Government housing initiative: does this just give priority to items from the above or is anything new?
4. Fingal capital projects as per North County Leader: again, priority for existing plans or new stuff?

It's (deliberately?) difficult to link all of these together, and given the importance I'd hope someone has a handle on it...