Fingal cutting down one third of the trees in the Links

General discussion on all issues relating to Donabate and Portrane
Fiona O'Reilly

Do You Live in The Links?
Did you know Fingal is cutting down 43 of the estates 120 trees?
The culling commenced this morning but after the objection of some residents out for a morning's walk the process was halted but is planned to resume tomorrow morning. We object to the dramatic culling of one third of our trees without any information or consultation.. Stumps left behind pose a risk of tripping not to mention the ugly impact on our estate. If you want to have a say in what happens in the environment in which you live .. contact the person in charge of this proposed action to cull the trees - fergus.o'carroll@fingal.ie
and any councillors as you see fit.
We are objecting to the lack of consultation on this matter and call for immediate engagement.

Fiona O'Reilly
Derek

Why are they being cut? Is there a bona fide reason that we are not aware of?
knitwit

As far as I'm aware, these trees are being cut down as there not suitable for a housing estate; they should never have been planted in The Links in the first place. They produce crab apples which present their own health and safety risks when the fall from the trees, are mushed into the ground, and create very slippy road and path surfaces. I'm also under the impression that new trees are going to be planted in their place.
Derek

knitwit wrote:As far as I'm aware, these trees are being cut down as there not suitable for a housing estate; they should never have been planted in The Links in the first place. They produce crab apples which present their own health and safety risks when the fall from the trees, are mushed into the ground, and create very slippy road and path surfaces. I'm also under the impression that new trees are going to be planted in their place.
That's not the first time I've heard that some trees are unsuitable and those crab apples are indeed a nuisance. Indeed, I heard previously and I don't know if true or not, that their roots are threatening underground services because of the way they grow. In principle, I don't like seeing trees cut down but if these are the arguments for in this case then they have to be considered, and provided the removal is done properly and with replacements planted.
Fiona O'Reilly

I think the point that is being missed and one that i'm passionate about (as well as trees) is that the rationale for the culling of the trees in the estate, the reasons for the significant change (and in my view a devastating ) in our environment is one foisted upon us with no acknowledgement that we should have a say in the decisions that impact us. The local authority are here to serve communities ( we pay for it) not to dictate to them. Had i not happened across the Fingal tree cutters bulldozing in with their chain saws I would have arrived home, as would my neighbours, to what I consider an travesty. Almost 50 beautiful trees gone, cut off at the stump. A significant impact in my lived environment. I am completely aware i live in a community where all voices count and if i am a minority in my views about the benefits of nature in our concrete worlds , im very happy to go with the majority (save for my one tree outside my house doing no harm to nobody:)).
BUT the point is that without effective consultation by the council (their duty) its impossible to know if im in the minority/majority or how the links residents view the trees in their environment.The point is we've got to a stage where we're expected not to have a view and certainly not kick up when the establishment takes decisions that affect us with absolutely no forewarning or information.
We shouldn't need to guess what trees they are and why they're being cut down we should be given this information and the opportunity to voice concerns and not as I was forced to do with my back against the next tree to be felled to the noise of a chainsaw.
We should be consulted as citizens with a right to full involvement in decisions that affect us!
Derek

Fiona, what reasons have Fingal given for felling these trees?
blow-in

Hi Fiona,

I agree with you wholeheartedly, on the arbitrary approach and the underhand way these actions are invariably executed. Not only is there a lack of engagement or at least a valid notification on the requirement (justified or not), to remove these trees. As others have said, a lot of people do have differing views on these trees (the ones with crabapple fruit) and the suitability of these within a residential estate - they are lovely trees with full foliage during the summer, but they are a nuisance with the fruit they drop. Additionally, they may be interfering with services - not least the new lights, but I feel it important to echo your points on the lack of communication and engagement and the continuation of the poor treatment of residents by these authorities.

Has anyone asked the Links Residents Association if they have any input?
Derek

blow-in, consultation is the crux of the issue. I have heard anecdotally that this matter with the trees was brought to Fingal's attention some time back and it is only now they are acting on whatever it is has been decided. You and Fiona are 100% correct that there has been no apparent broad consultation / advance notice with the residents and this sadly is something that is Fingal's hall mark. This was the case previously with the Wild Meadows policy (a complete disaster), the change to LED street lighting (does seem fine now despite initial concerns) and services work a few years back.

What I would like to know is what are the official reasons and rationale behind removing these trees?
Ken
Site Admin

I'm surprised FCC didn't notice this when the builder was handing over the estate. Going back 12 years ago, I remember they were all over our estate before it was handed over and even made the builder change some trees as they were deemed unsuitable.

Trees are obviously a welcome addition to an estate. However, if they get too big, they create issues by blocking street lighting at night and being a potential hazard to property during storms. Crab apples are something I wouldn't have considered, but can understand the issue they would cause.
Regards,

Ken.
Quello Serio

About 3-4 years ago, I got a letter from the county council saying that they planned to remove several trees (with a planned date about 2 months in the future). It didn't surprise me, because I'd often been told that the trees were of the wrong type/a mistake. I *think* the letter even listed the house numbers nearest the condemned trees (mine was one).

I doubt the Council consider me unique, so I'd expect others would have received similar at the time? They didn't remove any then.
Burt

Hi
Just to let you know a similar tree pruning was carried out in The Priory earlier this year. The justification given was the trees were too close to public lighting - they had some minimum distance - it could have been 8 feet. I can't be sure. There were no issues with fruit trees.
We contacted the local councillors, put notices up on trees, got in touch with Fingal etc but to no avail. The trees indicated were cut along with a couple of others where they had concerns with regard to root damage to paths. A few weeks later they came back to remove the stumps.
Residents only received notification on the morning of the cutting.
To my knowledge there have been no new trees planted yet to replace the ones cut.

Regards
Burt
JAG

We had a number of trees pruned on our street a couple of months back in another estate. We called FCC as it was done with no notice and they left 3 feet stumps for the trees they removed. They stated the same as to they did to Burt - the trees were too close to public lighting and as such deemed a security concern.
The three foot stumps are still there, FCC stated that they will handle them when there is a budget for it but could give no timeline. Now rather than having little insight into our house we have a number of kids flocking outside climbing on it. Tempted to cut the rest of it myself...
Links

Staggering that Fingal CC can just turn up with little or no consultation and butcher around the places we live.

Environmentally I know lots of people are upset about this, children are asking questions because it flies in the face of what they are being taught in school or by parents regarding the environment. Economically it must be devaluing our homes and neighbourhoods by virtue of the eyesores the council are leaving behind.

I'll be emailing each of our council reps on the matter. Poor consultation, no options presented and an ugly legacy left behind.

I'd rather mobilise my community to tidy up the crab apples and their impact rather than leave behind whats in place now.
Derek

Links wrote:Staggering that Fingal CC can just turn up with little or no consultation and butcher around the places we live.

Environmentally I know lots of people are upset about this, children are asking questions because it flies in the face of what they are being taught in school or by parents regarding the environment. Economically it must be devaluing our homes and neighbourhoods by virtue of the eyesores the council are leaving behind.

I'll be emailing each of our council reps on the matter. Poor consultation, no options presented and an ugly legacy left behind.

I'd rather mobilise my community to tidy up the crab apples and their impact rather than leave behind whats in place now.
A couple of things with this and further to what I posted in this thread previously.

It has been known for some time now that plans were afoot to do this work. To be fair, the council did leaflet the estate at the start of the week. I enquired as to why it was being done, and was told that it was a combination of blocking street lights, roots fouling underground services, and some trees being in a structurally weak condition and could fall down in high winds. Furthermore, these trees should never have been planted in The Links at all as they are known to be unsuitable for a housing estate. I was told that the expense that the council are going to with this is not cheap, and is something they'd rather not do as there are plenty of other things they'd like to do with that money on. But the situation now is such that action has to be taken. All trees felled though will be replaced.

The remaining stump is left in situ for a period after which it is cut and removed completely. I was told that the wood has to be dead to do this particular job. If they cut it any shorter than current, there is the risk that people will trip / fall / sustain and injury, and as ugly as the current length it, it is the safer option in this regard.

I didn't want to see the trees go and would've loved have seen them stay. They matured strongly in the last few years and do look beautiful. However this has to be weighed up against the issues I've listed here and if they are causing a serious problem, then action does have to be take - unfortunately.
Lavidolas

Classic Fingal - they did the same with the beautiful old trees on the Portrane Road between the Credit Union and the community centre and never replaced them. It looks awful now and latest fence did nothing for the area. I see they also cut down all the trees and bushes on the Seatown Rd where that poor girl was attacked - rationale there was that it was for safety of walkers but it was a totally overboard response by CC, again. It looks like a Chernobyl now! Chop chop chop They just don't care