Running Club

Baileathacliath

Hi all.

Have noticed what looks like a running club on Saturday mornings at the community center. Can anyone give details about this? What sort of distances etc? I love running but am a bit fed up of running on my own.
oirishfruitie

I'd also be interested in meeting up with other runners - especially someone I can run with in the evenings.
sallyanne

There is a parkrun every Saturday morning in Malahide Castle, check website under Malahide Parkrun. Its a 5 km run/walk and once you register you print off a barcode and it is scanned at the end of your run every week so you can check your results online. Its a great incentive to get up and running on a Saturday morning and attracts a huge crowd. It would be great if something similar started in Newbridge Park.
Baileathacliath

Thanks for the replies.

Yes, I do the Malahide park run every week and love it. Actually, its on the way down to Malahide that I have spotted the group warming up in the carpark. To be honest, I cant see one starting in Newbridge as its too close. You probably wouldnt get enough numbers seeing as most people would already be going to Malahide. The other one in Dublin is Marlay Park.

I was kind of hoping that there were people running evenings too so I could join them there.

Might give Malahide a miss this Saturday and see whats going on here instead.
Mr. Stupid

Baileathacliath wrote:Thanks for the replies.

Yes, I do the Malahide park run every week and love it. Actually, its on the way down to Malahide that I have spotted the group warming up in the carpark. To be honest, I cant see one starting in Newbridge as its too close. You probably wouldnt get enough numbers seeing as most people would already be going to Malahide. The other one in Dublin is Marlay Park.

I was kind of hoping that there were people running evenings too so I could join them there.

Might give Malahide a miss this Saturday and see whats going on here instead.
There are a few hidden fields in Newbridge park that are class to go running in. You have to walk thru a few hedgros etc to get into them but they are massive.

Newbridge Park is just a big as Malahide Castle but a lot of it is completely unused.
foo

Never heard of parkrun before. Looks brilliant. Will definitely check out the Malahide run at some stage. What a great idea. Looks like the Malahide run is one of only two in the republic. Great to have it so close by.
Star

Hi
I went along on Saturday to the run in Malahide & it was great, I'll definitely be doing it again. Its very well run & the results/stats provided are really good.
If a running club were to be set up in the area I'd definitely be interested as I run on my own most of the time & would like to run as part of a group some days a week.
DonabateLifer

Anyone running the Fingal 10km on 21 July?

Just registered for it along with a half marathon in the Phoenix Park in September. Interested to hear from anyone who ran the inaugral Fingal 10km last year - by all acounts it was pretty successful in terms of the numbers who participated.
Wolf J Flywheel

The is a running club in the parish. It's called Lambay Sports Academy and although its main orientation is mainly on the junior side, I think there is an adult membership as well. You can find it on Facebook.
Star

Hi

I did the Swords run last year and it was really well organized and a good route too. A long hill around the 6-7 k mark as far as I remember. The only complaints I heard were from locals who were blocked from coming and going as they weren't aware the roads were closed off.

I think the race series is great, I did last year for the first time & signed up again this year. You definitely need to be ready for the hills though if your an average runner like me.
DonabateLifer

Thanks for getting back to me. I am very definitely an average runner(!) but I am running 4 times a week since Christmas and have done 2 x 10k races now. Hills would not be a strong point so thanks for the tip off. Signed up for one other Race series run - the half marathon in September and also the Rock and Roll half marathon in August - looks like a fun one. Lucky to have so many beautiful places to run around Donabate - I couldn't hack doing a treadmill for any more than 15 mins. Fingal race looks like it is going to be very popular this year - looking forward to it now.
Star

Ah your doing loads, you'll fly through the Swords run.

I was just having a look at the route for this years run and it is different to last year, by the looks of it we'll be going down the back roads. I think I'll be doing a drive through of the course just to see what its like. I'm not looking forward to hills but sure once I drag myself accross the finish line that's the main thing.

Best of luck with it next week.
Baileathacliath

Hi all,

I don't think Lambay Sports Academy has an adult section. At least, I don't think they are active.

So....

I have decided to take matters into my own hands and try to set up a local running club.
We can start this as fast or slow as we like but ideally it will provide a place for those of us who would like someone to run with. I have been running with another local-ish club for the past few months so hopefully I can pass on some of their expertise (steal their ideas!)

I will update this thread in a week or two once I have an idea of how many people would be interested.

For now, could you send me an mail to let me know if you fancy it. donabaterunningclub@gmail.com

All ages and levels are more than welcome to join.

Hope to have a positive update on this soon.
Ken
Site Admin

Let me know if you want a dedicated section on the forum.
Regards,

Ken.
Baileathacliath

Thanks Ken,

That might be a better idea to get people involved. If that would be possible I'd appreciate it.

Thanks
SB123

A running club with some early morning runs would really suit me.

I'll look out for any updates :)
foo

Sound good lads. I do a fair bit of running but not sure if I could commit to a club - I guess it would depend on what times the runs were and if that suited re work, kids etc.
Either way best of luck with the venture.
Sydney

Hiya,
Just for the record, LSA (Lambay Sports Academy) have an adult section. There are 25 members who meet up on Thursdays at 7pm at the Community Centre. You can PM them on their FB page or just reply here and I'll put you in touch with them.
Baileathacliath

Hi, how would I get in contact with them if I wasn't on Facebook?

Also, I've had a few emails which is really great. I will give it another couple of days and perhaps arrange something for later next week possibly.

However, I hadn't realised about LSA's adult section. i did investigate and couldnt see anything about it anywhere. Anyway, if people would prefer to run with a longstanding club that is totally fine. If they are still happy to start something new then excellent!
Star

Hi

Just wondering if the running club ever took off? I'm interested in joining if its going ahead.

Thanks
Sydney

LambaySA@mail.com is Lambay Sports Academy (LSA)'s email address.
jaybenson

Hi,

Just wondering if this club is still on the go, Im new to the area and looking to get back running after a year out.

Cheers.
DonG

jaybenson wrote:Hi,

Just wondering if this club is still on the go, Im new to the area and looking to get back running after a year out.

Cheers.
Hi,

Did this running club get off the ground?

Or does anyone know if there is another running club for the Donabate area?