Review of recorded protected structures

General discussion on all issues relating to Donabate and Portrane
blow-in

Just perusing the Consult.fingal.ie site, and reviewing the list of proposed changes, additions and deletions of currently classified protected structures in Fingal. A number in Donabate and Portrane.

May be something people want to review and submit observations on before deadline at end of July.

https://consult.fingal.ie/en/consultati ... s-and-maps
Ken
Site Admin

Hard to argue that the site of the now demolished Turvey House should be preserved as there's nothing left from what I've heard. I must drop up and see if there is anything to photograph, but I'd doubt it.

Not sure how the people of Portrane feel about Red Square. I would have thought it's much more important to preserve the old hospital itself rather than the old staff houses. If only they were preserving the hospital. Looks as though it's being left to crumble.
Regards,

Ken.
Ann O
Site Admin

Disgraceful that Turvey House was demolished as recently as 1987. :roll:

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/still-in ... y-1.235507
padraig

The Turvey Golf club one is truly sad.

It's interesting what one finds in these documents and how our heritage are just been desolved into something that were never there...I wasn't even aware of the following:

RPS No.539 Priest’s Chamber, in grounds of St. Ita’s Hospital, Quay (Portraine), Co. Dublin

Description
Natural sea cave, accessible at low tide that contains the Chink well. At base of cliffs along coastal path in Portrane.

RPS No.540 Chink Well, in grounds of St. Ita’s Hospital, Quay (Portraine), Co. Dublin

Description
Natural spring well within sea cave at base of cliffs along coastal path in Portrane.

Surely if these were listed as,
National or Recorded Monument and have been in the hands of Fingal County Council ( Date of Protection by Fingal County Council
1993) there should at least be a plaque or something stating their existence. The same goes for the burial site off Quay road Portrane by the sea side.

Should our local Councillor that lives in Portrane not look at the protection of these sites and join the dots together with the woeful manner in which the cliff walk remedial works have been dealt with, as these are all a potential loss of our heritage and local amenity.