Cycle to Swords (Seatown)

General discussion on all issues relating to Donabate and Portrane
JAG

I am looking to cycle to Seatown in Swords and Google maps gives me a route out from Donabate, road down past Kilcrea equestrian centre and then follow the edge of the water. I have not been down the area and am wondering if there is a proper path to cycle on or am I better sticking to the main road?
Thankful for any help.
patsman

That road beside the estuary is very bad it gets covered in water when tide in in. It woulnt be suitable for cycing. I used to cycle to swords from donabate on the hearse road and I used the underpass at the roundabout. You can also cycle part of the way through newbridge pk. when it is open.
JAG

Thanks patsman, appreciate the quick response.
jayflame

As a cyclist, I would avoid Hearse Road at all costs.
Car drivers are too fast and there are too many bends where they will have little time to see you.
Buses and lorries use it frequently and it is quite narrow in certain areas.
The stretch along Lanistown is uphill, slow for cyclists, cars go fast and they will try to squeeze past you even with oncoming traffic on the opposite side.

Safer to use Turvey Avenue where it is straighter, better visibility and when you get to the end, there is a footpath to use should you need to.
Also, no buses, fewer lorries.
Some drivers do exceed the speed limit along there though.
It may be a little longer, but it is far safer.

Suggest an off peak practice ride on both, in each direction.

Be safe.
JAG

Thanks jayflame, some very good advice. Took a little spin last night and practice is well needed before hitting any bigger roads.
jayflame

Legislation is not the cure here
Education is.

It is only by chance that learner drivers experience passing cyclists.

As a cyclist, I have seen car drivers cross the center line, onto the opposite carriage way to pass me, when they only need to give me 2 meter.

1.5 meters is insufficient.
2 meters is, however, the size and the speed of the vehicle are to be considered.
Factors such as side winds and turbulence from passing vehicles, especially those at high speeds, can suck a cyclist in behind them or cause an unsafe imbalance akin to a nonstop train through a station.
Even standing behind the yellow line, you will feel a gust.
Now add that to a moving vehicle passing you.
You are on 2 wheels and will wobble.

On a fast narrow straight such as Turvey Ave, cars have shot past me at 80-90 Km/h with a car oncoming, when I have been cycling at 25-30, leaving less than 2 meters.
At that speed and distance, they would be unable to react in time should I have needed to maneuver suddenly.

Turvey Ave is a lovely road to travel along, driving or cycling.
There just needs to be a little more room and care.

Don't forget, be safe, be seen.
Mr. Stupid

With the population of Donabate we really need a safe cycle path all the way out of it. It is extremely dangerous and I hate to think a serious accident is going to happen.
jayflame

Bridle path across the estuary would be perfect
Defcom

Hi Jag, yes you can cycle to seatown via Kilcrea Equestrian Centre and drop down onto the seasore and follow it around, can only be done at low tide and best to use a moutain bike.
Clonliffe

Is there not a usable path on top of the wall beside the section of road that's flooded?
Defcom

There is but you wouldn't cycle it. Its 15 foot hi
Its EB

I did it a couple of weeks ago when the tide was out and there was a section where it was mostly shingles and I couldn't cycle it even with mtb tyres on. I had to walk most of the way but its only a short section.

If you could figure out the tide times it would be doable.
TheBlowIn

For anyone commuting or cycling on the roads regularly, I'd highly recommend reading "Cyclecraft" by John Franklin. It's a mixture of Rules of the Road for cyclists and specifc techniques for dealing with other traffic. Lots of the advice seems counter-intuitive at first (e.g., positioning yourself away from the verge makes you safer) but it works brilliantly in practice.

"It's just like riding a bike" doesn't apply when you're mixing with high-speed traffic. It takes a much higher level of concentration and planning to cycle on most roads than it does to drive, hence you really do need to prepare to make it enjoyable.