Best Service Providers in Portrane?

General discussion on all issues relating to Donabate and Portrane
Sleepy

Hi all! We'll hopefully be getting the keys to our new home in Portrane in the next couple of weeks so I'm starting to think about the service providers we'll need.

I'm thinking of ditching Virgin Media who we currently use as the Horizon box has us driven demented over the past year. Thinking of opting for a separate broadband connection and using Saorview / Freesat for television. Am I best off just going with Eir since I'll be having to pay them the line rental with any other supplier I use in Portrane (as far as I can see Virgin broadband is unavailable in the area and anything else involves a telephone line?).

I suspect we've been spoiled having Citybin's €20 a month service for the past few years, who would locals recommend for waste collection?

Any other tips for some blow-ins? We're a family of four with a 10 year old boy and a 7 year old girl who'll be starting in St. Patricks in September (had hoped to get them into the ET but the waiting lists are crazy!).
cgp5659

Hello and welcome,
We moved to Turvey around three years ago. We initially used Eircom as they were already set up in the house but having issues with the phone side we got the opportunity to change when they altered their service contract. We decided to go with Vodaphone and for the most part we are very happy. We also decided to not have cable television and have only freesat and saorview box and are very happy with that it has definitely saved us a fortune in monthly charges. We currently pay around 50 euros a month for broadband and a landline (we have family abroad so need a landline to make international calls that do not cost a fortune). We also subscribe to Netflix as we have two older kids. I do not know if Vodaphone is available in the portrane area . Hope information is helpful.

:)
Derek

Welcome to the peninsula!

I've gone the Freesat /Saorview route myself and to be honest, it paid for itself in no time. I don't have the likes of Sky 1, Discovery and National Geographic, but I can get them on an Android box if I really want to.

In Portrane, I don't think Virgin Media is available (it might be in the estates but that's it) but I'll let the wiser people from down there comment on that. If I'm right then it's Eir or anyone that provides over their lines. Someone I know in Portrane on Eir does get good broadband speeds though.

In terms of Waste collection, I know Panda charge around €110 a year as a service charge for green and brown bins, and €8 per black bin lifted thereafter. It'll probably work out much of a muchness compared to what you've been paying where you are now.

Other than that, I hope you all enjoy the place. The place looks good but is even better to live in with two great beaches, a brilliant park and very decent folk! I'm sure you'll all be happy with it ;)
Sleepy

Thanks for the warm welcome!

We've been enjoying a few days out "testing" the beaches with the kids during the past few weeks of good weather and we've been loving it. Pipers certainly stands up to it's reputation as having some of the best chips in Dublin!
jack white

Never had any problems with Eir.

We used to have TV from Sky, Phone and broadband with Eir and mobiles with vodafone. But Eir give you all that on one bundle and there are significant savings. Good broadband speeds, TV service as good as Sky, no dropped calls on the mobiles (that always seemed to be a problem with vodafone) and it's cheaper.

Once you have one of those new green cabinets somewhere near your house (which you almost certainly will) you can avail of the service.
thebigkahuna

Thanks for starting this thread - we have bought one of the other few houses for sale in portrane, and really excited to moving into the area, though we were also getting nervous about the choice of service providers. Kind of hoping that acess to the beach makes up for lack of broadband if it turned out to be an issue ;-)
Sleepy

Getting our keys this week :)

Eir seems reasonable enough for broadband, toying with the idea of using them for TV for the first while since they give you 6 months free TV in a bundle until I can get a combo Saorview / Freesat receiver set up...

Are Panda the only waste collector? Or does anyone else cover the area?