Internet / Broadband

General discussion on all issues relating to Donabate and Portrane
Donabatian

Hi what company is installing the fibre to the home in Donabate? Will it be available to every home? Thanks
Ann O
Site Admin

Donabatian wrote: 28 Nov 2020, 17:26 Hi what company is installing the fibre to the home in Donabate? Will it be available to every home? Thanks

Eir, Vodafone and Sky (maybe others too) are offering it in enabled areas. Check their websites to see if your area is covered.
Mr.Local

Hi, Just wondering who the best internet provider would be for Somerton estate? Best speed etc. And has the fibre broadband now been installed and available to all the houses?

Thanks
Cathal

We’ve sky fibre, best deal I could find at the moment, they’ve to run a fibre line into your house.
I work in IT from home and have had zero issues since getting installed, getting over 250mbps down and about 50mbps up over WiFi throughout the day, I get close to 500bps down over cable occasionally.
Tomat

Hi,, direct fibre is live across the area. Sky have a 35e offer for 500mb fibre for 12 months,, 50e set up.

I signed up to Pure Telecom last November and nothing but issues, they only set my correct speed a week ago, did not resolve WiFi speed problems they acknowledged existed. I have been removed from contract and can now transfer my service.
Mr.Local wrote: 22 Feb 2021, 08:54 Hi, Just wondering who the best internet provider would be for Somerton estate? Best speed etc. And has the fibre broadband now been installed and available to all the houses?

Thanks
Ken
Site Admin

I got FTTH via Eir a couple of weeks ago. It's great. Getting the results below. There was no installation fee.

Regards,

Ken.
Derek

Ken wrote: 23 Feb 2021, 19:11 I got FTTH via Eir a couple of weeks ago. It's great. Getting the results below. There was no installation fee.
Can I ask Ken how much extra it costs over conventional broadband and if you were given a new router?
Ken
Site Admin

Haven't got the first bill yet, but it's about €25 per month more for the gigabit.

You don't get a new router which surprised me. I still have the F2000 which is about 6 years old at this stage.

I was going to upgrade the router but did a bit of research and decided to go with below from TP-Link. It's mesh Wi-Fi and there are three units with it. One connects via cable to your router and the others are positioned to locations in the house. So far, I'm impressed and the coverage in the house has improved greatly. You turn off the Wi-Fi on your router as the Deco replaces it.

https://www.komplett.ie/tp-link-deco-m5 ... 78/product
Regards,

Ken.
Derek

Ken wrote: 23 Feb 2021, 22:23 Haven't got the first bill yet, but it's about €25 per month more for the gigabit.

You don't get a new router which surprised me. I still have the F2000 which is about 6 years old at this stage.

I was going to upgrade the router but did a bit of research and decided to go with below from TP-Link. It's mesh Wi-Fi and there are three units with it. One connects via cable to your router and the others are positioned to locations in the house. So far, I'm impressed and the coverage in the house has improved greatly. You turn off the Wi-Fi on your router as the Deco replaces it.

https://www.komplett.ie/tp-link-deco-m5 ... 78/product
Thanks for that Ken. Pricing seems keen but not having to change the router is a big plus as there are so many devices running through it here. Apart from phones, laptops and iPads, there's cameras, smart Tvs, firesticks, Ilexa and a smart Dishwasher. I'd need a week of work to go through damn that lot. :? :D
Mr.Local

Thanks everyone. Some very good internet speeds there, I think Sky might be the way to go. Eir looks to have a great speed but I have heard that their customer service is horrendous!

I don't have a router so i assume that I can either buy one myself or Sky will provide me with one at a cost?

Thanks
Ken
Site Admin

Eir's customer service is supposedly improving. Having said that, I've very rarely had to contact them regarding broadband. Mobiles and home phone are a different story.

Eir did provide the router free of charge when I got my original broadband installation. I know Sky have their own routers, but not sure if they charge additionally for them. I'd doubt it as they're a necessary piece of kit to access the service.
Regards,

Ken.
Cathal

I’m on the €35/mth from sky, new router which is decent too, was getting fantastic speeds on the WiFi, although I do have my own APs so I’ve since disabled the WiFi on it in favour of my Unifis
salokindoc

Hi

EIRs customer service went private a year or so ago and was terrible. So bad that we moved to pure telecom for a year (better deal) With eir at the moment and just have standard broadband, maybe 20mgs at best. Actually it works fine with the odd slow times and I am even running webinars across it.

Any idea if the high speed services are outside the village. We are the other side of the distributor road and when I asked eir ( last year) was told it wasn’t in my area.

I would love 100mgs let alone 1000 :D
Johnny Onion Ring

Recently had the 1gb installed in Carrs Mill via Sky for 55eur pm.

The max speed wireless was approx 500mbs but was very rare I'd see that, on average it was a steady 200/250mbs with a samsung S20 plus.
Hard wired with the latest cable and a powerful device I was getting max 700mps.

After discussing with Sky, getting a new router and going through over a week of testing there was no improvement and the line hosts (think they said EIR) said it was on my end.

I dropped down to the 500mps package for 40eur pm and I get the same speeds via wireless 200/250mps and 500+ wired.

Make of that what you will but just in case it can help someone else.
I know in Carrs Mill we've had useless BB for many years so this was very much welcomed, just a shame the 1gb didn't work.
Not that I need that much bandwidth but a nice to have :-D
pat mustard

Was tempted by the 1gb as now wfh long term in Somerton, so thanks for the advice. looks the 500mps is better.
Lady

Hi,

Anybody used Vodafone for TV and Broadband, just wondering what it is like, with Sky at moment but Vodafone have a good offer.

Many thanks
Random Citizen

Earlier on this thread, I said I had Vodafone broadband. It wasn't great. It would keep dropping when doing certain specific activities involving big downloads - and (strangely) when launching 'Roblox' in a browser. Vodafone logged on several times and made changes to confidently fix the problem, but nothing changed.

I'm now with Vodafone Fibre, and it is great. Supposed to be 500M, and I don't care about exact numbers, but in real life usage with a couple of streamers and two working from home, its very good.

I also have Vodafone TV, but only because their fibre install offer meant it cost only €10 extra for TV for the whole first year. I can't see myself keeping it after my free year is up. For me, Netflix, Disney and Free satellite/Saorview gives all that I want.

If you value TV streaming via an app, look at all the bad the reviews, which reflect my experience. https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... n_IE&gl=US

Vodafone's website is 'clunky' and slow, and they made a mess of scheduling installation so come across as an organisation in disarray. Over time, it has become slightly easier to get through to technical support on the phone , that might be just me getting better at it.
Mr.Blowin

Just a note for people using older PCs, laptops etc. Remember you won't get any faster than the wi fi adapter in your PC.

If you have an 802.11ac adapter (WiFi 5) you might get as much as 200Mbs compared to the theoretical 1300 Mbs

https://www.lifewire.com/how-fast-is-a- ... ork-816543
Bottlebrush-PJ

Has anyone noticed their fibre broadband getting a lot slower over the past couple of months?
We're living in Carr's Mill and originally had Sky 1GB. We weren't getting anywhere near that speed so we downgraded to 500MB. Over the past couple of months the broadband has been dropping out and speeds varying throughout the day, often not sufficient for a work call or streaming. We were in contact with Sky a number of times, they sent out a new router and then a new booster, they change the channel set up but with little improvement.
As all providers work off the same line, I don't know if there is any benefit in us changing provider or going back to the 1GB plan. It seemed to deteriorate when we went from 1GB to 500MB.
Last edited by Bottlebrush-PJ on 11 Mar 2022, 10:18, edited 1 time in total.
Ken
Site Admin

Not an issue for me. I'm with Eir and upgraded to Gigabit broadband about a year ago. It has been great.

What provider are you with?
Regards,

Ken.
diggerbarnes

Out of interest Ken, was there much disruption getting it installed? I've heard of people having to get driveways/gardens dug up to lay cable.
Cheers
Ken
Site Admin

No, was very straight forward.

They did warn us that there is a conduit from the connection outside the gate, down the driveway to the house. If the wire runs ok, then no issues and we get connected. If they can't run the wire through the conduit, then it's our problem not their's and we are responsible for getting it fixed which could mean getting the driveway dug up.

Our house is 25 years old. I would hope that there is even less chance of issues with a newer house.
Regards,

Ken.
diggerbarnes

Thanks Ken. Seems like there is an element of luck involved. Must see if any neighbours had it done.