Corballis East SHD

CommunityCouncil

Save Donabate from rampant developer-led planning

We have set up a gofundme page to help us in our quest to protect and enhance our village.

All your support is appreciated!

The gofundme page can be found at the following URL:
https://gofund.me/df17223c

Donabate Portrane Community Council needs your help to employ expert planners, ecologists and engineers to help the community fight this entirely unsuitable development at Corballis East, which will irreversibly destroy the peninsula.

An application has been made to An Bord Pleanála for 1,019 mainly 1 and 2 bed apartments and 346 houses at Corballis, behind the Strand and Smyth's Pub. (https://corballiseastshd.ie/) (https://www.pleanala.ie/en-ie/case/311059)

This application constitutes the second biggest Strategic Housing Development Application in the history of the State and will increase the population of Donabate from its current ca. 10,000 to over 14,000 people.

This development of mainly 1 and 2 bed apartments is custom designed to be sold to cuckoo funds to be rented out at high prices and will not deliver the much needed homes in our community.

This high-density development is entirely unsuited to a rural environment and is attempting to transplant an inner-city scheme to an area which is already suffering severely from a lack of infrastructure and proper facilities.

Similar SHD schemes have been successfully challenged elsewhere. We now need your help to challenge this because we cannot do it alone. It is without doubt an attrocious and audacious attempt to crash-land a development aimed solely at maximising profit right on top of our peninsula, but with zero regard for its consequences.

The funds collected here will explicitly be used for engagement of expert consultants to support our case, as well as to cover the cost of business needed for the Donabate Portrane Community Council to continue supporting your community: Public liability and event insurance, zoom license, printing leaflets, ...
AindriuB

Looks like a nice development. Mix of house types suitable for families, as well as some higher density apartments buildings and they're building a park too!
AindriuB

The drawings are here. They look like high quality homes.
https://corballiseastshd.ie/drawings/ar ... e-drawings
AindriuB

This looks awesome.
AindriuB

Another great looking rendering of the wetlands park they're looking to create.
Bawner

Adrian Henchy sent out a notice as well.

Strategic Housing Developments are meant to fasttrack much needed development instead of getting permission from council. We're seeing abuse of this process in an effort to bypass council, knowing full well it won't get within an asses roar of getting approved locally.

Hopefully Planning Board will see through this. The scale is unsustainable and it would then fall back to FCC to provide infrastructure. I expect FCC will be submitting an objection to this development.

Developers well known for tactics e.g. go in low and get planning for x units, then amend for x+y units, then x+y+z units. In this case could be the opposite- they put in for 1400 units, when they might only want 500. They might end up getting their 500 and we'll go "Could have been worse". But if they went for 500 from the off they know we'd object to that and could end upwith less.

OP, maybe leave cuckoo funds out of it. Unless you have evidence, it doesn't help the argument and detracts from all the legitimate reasons as to why it shouldn't proceed in current scale.
Summersunshine

They are not suitable for the area. Where is the employment and facilities go with them. Donabate is already under pressure with houses in the pipeline.
AindriuB

Summersunshine wrote: 31 Aug 2021, 19:29 They are not suitable for the area. Where is the employment and facilities go with them. Donabate is already under pressure with houses in the pipeline.
Presumably people will be working from home from the many apartments, duplexes and houses. Alternatively they may decide to hop on the train to head to the office which is within a short walking distance. It really is ideal. Beyond that there appears to be a very welcome number of retail units that comes with this development at street level underneath the apartments. Employment and business opportunities there for people in what looks like a nice spot for a café or a restaurant.

To be honest, I'd like to have seen a few more of the apartment blocks instead of the duplexes, to pack in higher density and get more retail units on the ground floor. With this kind of density, it would make it viable to link up the railway station to the metro north project. Hopefully Fingal County Council account for this in their next iteration of the local area development plan for 2023 and beyond.
albert

AindriuB wrote: 31 Aug 2021, 19:58 Presumably people will be working from home from the many apartments, duplexes and houses. Alternatively they may decide to hop on the train to head to the office which is within a short walking distance. It really is ideal. Beyond that there appears to be a very welcome number of retail units that comes with this development at street level underneath the apartments. Employment and business opportunities there for people in what looks like a nice spot for a café or a restaurant.
You sound like you work for the developer?

And "Presumably people will work from home from the apartments..." - no. why move to Donabate to work remotely? I mean I love Donabate but proximity to Dublin was the reason I moved here (also the beach, newbridge, pints in smyths, sound people).

Wasn't the original application rejected as the area was a natural conservation spot?

The artists impressions look lovely. but they're made to sell. my fear would be that in reality you'd have gangs of teens congregating there.
AindriuB

albert wrote: 31 Aug 2021, 21:14
AindriuB wrote: 31 Aug 2021, 19:58 Presumably people will be working from home from the many apartments, duplexes and houses. Alternatively they may decide to hop on the train to head to the office which is within a short walking distance. It really is ideal. Beyond that there appears to be a very welcome number of retail units that comes with this development at street level underneath the apartments. Employment and business opportunities there for people in what looks like a nice spot for a café or a restaurant.
You sound like you work for the developer?

And "Presumably people will work from home from the apartments..." - no. why move to Donabate to work remotely? I mean I love Donabate but proximity to Dublin was the reason I moved here (also the beach, newbridge, pints in smyths, sound people).

Wasn't the original application rejected as the area was a natural conservation spot?

The artists impressions look lovely. but they're made to sell. my fear would be that in reality you'd have gangs of teens congregating there.
I'm just genuinely enthusiastic about the prospect of more retail in Donabate and I detest NIMBYism. I also like the prospect of higher density housing developments. It means more money into the local economy, which means more investment, and more SMEs. Good news all around.

I'm not denying there will be problems that arise as a result of the growth, but I don't think it's anything that can't be dealt with.
Summersunshine

You live in a fairytale world. This kind of growth too quickly without the infrastructure a garda station, shops... Trains already at capacity. Poor bus service can cause massive longterm problems. If it was done in phases rather than all sprung at once people may buy into it. Also what plan are you looking that has adequate retail units per population that's in there... Also to throw the word nimbyism in is lazy as donabate has taken on more than its fair share of housing
AindriuB

Summersunshine wrote: 31 Aug 2021, 21:55 You live in a fairytale world. This kind of growth too quickly without the infrastructure a garda station, shops... Trains already at capacity. Poor bus service can cause massive longterm problems. If it was done in phases rather than all sprung at once people may buy into it. Also what plan are you looking that has adequate retail units per population that's in there... Also to throw the word nimbyism in is lazy as donabate has taken on more than its fair share of housing
I live in reality, where there is a housing crisis. This development is being done in phases. The expansion and growth of Donabate is being delivered in phases. This particular phase involves a lot of houses, during a housing crisis. The more people you have in an area, the more political pull you have for getting investment for services. That's how it works. That's how it has always worked. They don't build infrastructure first (although they built the relief road first in this case).

Other infrastructure coming is the long overdue electrification of the rail line out to Drogheda, which means a more frequent dart service. I'm guessing the metro will be extended as part of the 2023 LADP. There's already €3 million per year committed to infrastructure development in this particular area over the next couple of years.

Also. this is the local area development plan. Brown is residential. This is democracy in action.
Summersunshine

How is this democracy in action when the whole point of democracy is for our representatives to have an input and to ensure the development plan is being adhered to which this is bypassing... Also your drawing is based on a development plan which had promises regarding densities, phasing and greenspace which this is ignoring. Whilst the development might solve a short term problem what is going happen when many people of the 600 apartments try to trade up and there is no where to go... Also who is going to build these and as many of the apartments built nowadays are build to rent what problem is it really solving for the people of donabate who will be trapped in high rents for many years to come

Also how long have we been promised the extension of the dart and people in donabate have long been victim of people guessing that these services will arrive i.e metro when it is not even talked about currently and I know I won't see if in my lifetime
AindriuB

Summersunshine wrote: 31 Aug 2021, 22:19 How is this democracy in action when the whole point of democracy is for our representatives to have an input and to ensure the development plan is being adhered to which this is bypassing... Also your drawing is based on a development plan which had promises regarding densities, phasing and greenspace which this is ignoring. Whilst the development might solve a short term problem what is going happen when many people of the 600 apartments try to trade up and there is no where to go... Also who is going to build these and as many of the apartments built nowadays are build to rent what problem is it really solving for the people of donabate who will be trapped in high rents for many years to come

Also how long have we been promised the extension of the dart and people in donabate have long been victim of people guessing that these services will arrive i.e metro when it is not even talked about currently and I know I won't see if in my lifetime
The metro development is currently underway. They'll start shovelling dirt next year. The Dart expansion remains to be seen, but unless you're a climate change denier, there's no possible way we as a nation can afford not to upgrade the second busiest rail line on the island. It will literally cost Ireland money to leave it the way it is.

It's democracy in action because the people of Fingal voted in the current council who decided that this area would be residential. This development complies with the LADP.
Summersunshine

No it doesn't comply with the lapd... There is a whole section in it about how it doesn't comply ...... It has many material contraventions including height, density, etc which the developer acknowledges... Also through the shd they are not bound to comply with the lapd in the same way the council are which makes the process undemocratic.. No one is denying the dart is on its way but bear in mind we heard this in the early naughties and prob before then....currently there is no plans to bring the metro to donabate so I would not hold my breath on that one... I agree with yourself they are great ideas and I think if people would be much more on board with it if there was joined up thinking such as having the metro there first to keep pace with demand
albert

“Dart expansion” - they can’t just electrify the line to Drogheda - they need to upgrade it to have multiple lanes (2 in each direction). Still have the bottleneck at Connolly. Adding more darts over a longer stretch just means by the time they get to Malahide they’re already packed.

They should open up docklands station. Add more lanes through Connolly. Underground prob best option
AindriuB

albert wrote: 01 Sep 2021, 00:21 “Dart expansion” - they can’t just electrify the line to Drogheda - they need to upgrade it to have multiple lanes (2 in each direction). Still have the bottleneck at Connolly. Adding more darts over a longer stretch just means by the time they get to Malahide they’re already packed.

They should open up docklands station. Add more lanes through Connolly. Underground prob best option
Dart expansion will begin in 2024. It will take time to build the lines, but hybrid trains (currently out to tender) will allow dart expansion to Drogheda on day 1.

The 2 lines of railway each way is complete nonsense. The only place there will be a bottleneck on the line to Belfast will be the bridge over the Boyne which is a single track. Pretty much the only thing stopping the electrification of the line further to Dundalk. The Connolly re-signalling project was completed in 2020 in order to allow the throughput for this expansion. Dart underground will improve things further, but is not essential.

You should probably read the Iarnród Éireann report.
pat mustard

has Ronald Dump joined this conversation? Bizarre optimism is alive.

anyway.....

Dart Extension has been on the cards since last century and nothing. Good luck with your bladder on a 50 min trip to here from town when it happens. (young kids and pregnant women and older people and boozers)

New trains and carriages due last year will arrive .....2024 is the latest "fact".

Metro is BS , a political pipe dream and will never connect to here.

Glut in Connolly has been well reported since late 90s and nothing will (or has) change(d).

The only things happening with railway lines in Ireland at the moment and the forseeable future is converting them to greenways. (yes, it wont happen on this line ,i know)

no cop shop -endless speed bumps will delay cover from Swords, (thats what we were told by Swords garda as fast access to Donabate a few years ago as cover) .

A replacement bus to city ,that was only maintained with local pressure, when train nearly fell into the estuary ( i was on it) .

one big shop who at times struggle to match the product price with the till price ( i experienced it today. 4e became 6.99, raised and corrected)

lets get real for the sake of everyone who lives here.
bronorton

Aindriu, I do agree with you people need a place to live that is important to note.

However unlike you I have zero faith in our politicians to actually tackle the infrastructure required when you build houses.
  • During the last building phase (far less then is planned) we had what seemed like weekly power cuts and water stoppages. Does anything think this wont happen again?

The ring road is a cod, set up to facilitate houses only, there is still a massive bottleneck getting out of Donabate, with no additional roads added that actually help with the problem

You are living in cloud cuckoo land on the trains, the last time we had issues, we were told by our current Tainaiste that we couldnt afford new trains (thankfully he has now found a magic money tree). The cynic in me thinks they want this whole WFH thing to stop the need to invest in Public Transport

And finally people who want to live in 1/2 bed apartments for the most part would rather live closer to town (I have asked my friends/colleaguess this), and tend to be younger and want a better social life. We dont even have a proper nightlink to get us home. In reality these one/two beds would be likely bought by the goverment to alleviate the housing crisis, fine. In addition an apartment isnt really suitable for WFH for most.

I have zero faith in our elected officials to see beyond the current media issue of the day and actually deliver what people need (those currently and hopefully in the future living in Donabate - however this is happening all over North Dublin).
As mentioned above, this proposal does seem to have some intentional whoppers in there, surely a road into the town directly is purely in there as a wind up.
haven

Why would anyone object to this ? Because we have memories, intelligence and the ability to reason perhaps.

Developers planners money people couldn't give a monkeys chuff about the impact their building creates.

When will we learn, more housing bought out by pension funds, locals priced out the housing market both sales and renting.

FFS people wake up.