Houses Ballymastone Disaster

Dreamchaser

Can i ask... have the local council just avoided making any commitments / plans to the locals to aid all of the developments ? Or have they made promises and not followed through?
Sleepy

The council appear to be moving ahead with this, currently seeking interest from developers:

https://www.facebook.com/fingalcoco/pos ... 1933849174

Personally, I find the prospect of an 1000 house estate which will end up being predominantly social housing quite worrying. Have the planning authorities not learned from their mistakes in Darndale, Finglas, Jobstown etc?
Dreamchaser

Are there any meetings scheduled about this to voice concerns about the lack of resources to cope with such an increase in population? There isn’t even a police station here never mind the difficulty getting my kids into local schools, etc.
Austy

Just leaving these here...

http://www.thejournal.ie/fingal-council ... 0-Aug2018/

https://www.independent.ie/business/per ... 20927.html

Time for a protest in the lobby of Fingal CoCo?
window77

Hi all,

Do people think it will be possible to block/stop this.

Thanks,
Last edited by window77 on 07 May 2019, 17:57, edited 1 time in total.
McLovin

This is all we need. Social housing on our doorstep. Schools all full, two pubs, one shop train full at peak hours, no police presence.

This is a disaster if it goes ahead. I don't care if this is not politically correct I don't want this on our doorstep, and I don't buy this whole everyone deserves a house. Why do they deserve a free house when everyone else has to work for theirs.

This will turn Donabate into a kip, 5% social maybe, 10% social if we have too, 30% social no way.
Macktheknife

I came to Donabate 16 years ago. If I could afford it I would move because the plans for the town are going to ruin the area and the lives of those leaving here. Trains are packed - even the first one in the morning is standing room only and this is before the kids are back in school. I currently live in a cul de sac but the ring road is now going to come through the estate where the road is only wide enough for one car. The ring road doesn't start until after Newbridge House (instead of at the M1) and that stretch of road is the busiest and has the bend where there have been a number of crashes.

We have one supermarket (which is not a good one) and seems determined to turn the Donabate town centre into the Supervalu town centre.

We are in danger of losing our bus service into town in the morning. If there is a problem with the trains (like an incident on the line several weeks ago), there is no way off the peninsula except one bus which they are now threatening to change its route and still no one seems to be doing anything.

I don't know if people are not aware but the amount of social housing being dumped in Donabate is a disgrace. One neighbour, who is aware, told me it was because none of the councilors on FCC live in the area. They live in Malahide and Portmarnock where no doubt social housing is outlawed. I would not recommend anyone buy at house in Donabate because the place will be unrecognisable in 5/10 years time. Pity as I have been very happy here and it has been a nice place to live.
window77

McLovin wrote:This is all we need. Social housing on our doorstep. Schools all full, two pubs, one shop train full at peak hours, no police presence.

This is a disaster if it goes ahead. I don't care if this is not politically correct I don't want this on our doorstep, and I don't buy this whole everyone deserves a house. Why do they deserve a free house when everyone else has to work for theirs.

This will turn Donabate into a kip, 5% social maybe, 10% social if we have too, 30% social no way.

Hi,

I agree and just hope the people living there properly protest.
Last edited by window77 on 07 May 2019, 17:55, edited 1 time in total.
bronorton

McLovin wrote:This is all we need. Social housing on our doorstep. Schools all full, two pubs, one shop train full at peak hours, no police presence.

Couldnt have said it better, housing should not be seen as a right, especially for those who have not worked in their life. There is no way I would buy in this estate

It is a joke - out of sight out of mind for the councilors - while they collect their rebuilding Ireland bonuses
Mr. Stupid

Throw a few thousand social houses in Donabate -- all the left wing parties win because they can claim they delivered. FG win because they keep their strongholds in Malahide, Blackrock and Dalkey etc all happy and can claim they delivered on social housing where FF had failed.

The only people who can stop this madness are the people living here. Do you expect people in Bray, Bandon or Howth to actually do anything? Everyone needs to get onto their politicians and make clear your views.

A high concentration of social housing in any area ruins it.
Last edited by Mr. Stupid on 12 Sep 2018, 13:31, edited 1 time in total.
Quello Serio

bronorton wrote:...while they collect their rebuilding Ireland bonuses
Is there such a thing?
bronorton

Quello Serio wrote:
bronorton wrote:...while they collect their rebuilding Ireland bonuses
Is there such a thing?
Nope (or rather I dont know), but no doubt they will get Kudos for building x amount of houses and hitting targets

Has there ever been a more useless document than the LAP
Austy

bronorton wrote: Couldnt have said it better, housing should not be seen as a right, especially for those who have not worked in their life. There is no way I would buy in this estate

It is a joke - out of sight out of mind for the councilors - while they collect their rebuilding Ireland bonuses
As I've said before, if you allocate 30% of the houses to social housing, you will commit the residents to almost generational unemployment. There are no jobs or opertunities for employment in Donabate. Any jobs that residents would be considered for will be low paying/unskilled and as the employment will be Swords/City Centre, the cost of travel won't make it worth their while.
This is the same blinkered thinking that created Ballymun, the only difference is that in the case of Ballymun, the planners probably didn't know any better.
Derek

Austy wrote:
bronorton wrote: Couldnt have said it better, housing should not be seen as a right, especially for those who have not worked in their life. There is no way I would buy in this estate

As I've said before, if you allocate 30% of the houses to social housing, you will commit the residents to almost generational unemployment. There are no jobs or opertunities for employment in Donabate. Any jobs that residents would be considered for will be low paying/unskilled and as the employment will be Swords/City Centre, the cost of travel won't make it worth their while.
This is the same blinkered thinking that created Ballymun, the only difference is that in the case of Ballymun, the planners probably didn't know any better.
And for those of us who care to remember, Ballymun was a knee-jerk response to a housing crisis in the 60's caused by the tenements and poor housing. Almost 50 years after it was first built, they are still putting it right at great expense and with limited success.

That's what I love about this country. They cannot learn from the howling mistakes they make. Perhaps "Economic Crash Part 2" will save us.... :D
aoifey

Derek wrote:
And for those of us who care to remember, Ballymun was a knee-jerk response to a housing crisis in the 60's caused by the tenements and poor housing. Almost 50 years after it was first built, they are still putting it right at great expense and with limited success.

That's what I love about this country. They cannot learn from the howling mistakes they make. Perhaps "Economic Crash Part 2" will save us.... :D
Whats concerning me is that the people and groups in the community who are trying their best to ensure the very best for the area are being stonewalled (and stronger) by certain people. I don't know why this is the case.

My last post which couldnt have been more vague and mentioned no name, was removed by admin here and I suspect this one will be too.

Seems we aren't allowed to discuss this issue for some reason.
Ask your local and national politicians whether or not they are in favour of this scheme. Bear in mind that the vast majority of people in donabate are against it as it currently stands.

Send them an e-mail and ask them outright. Then vote them in or out at the next available opportunity.
Here are e-mail addresses of our local representatives as well as our TD's

Philip.Lynam@cllrs.fingal.ie; Darragh.Butler@cllrs.fingal.ie; Adrian.Henchy@cllrs.fingal.ie; Joe.Newman@cllrs.fingal.ie; Eugene.Coppinger@cllrs.fingal.ie; Anne.Devitt@cllrs.fingal.ie; Paul.Mulville@cllrs.fingal.ie; Justin.Sinnott@cllrs.fingal.ie; Duncan.Smith@cllrs.fingal.ie; Anthony.Lavin@cllrs.fingal.ie; clare.daly@oireachtas.ie; alan.farrell@oireachtas.ie; darragh.obrien@oireachtas.ie; louise.oreilly@oireachtas.ie; brendan.ryan@oireachtas.ie
Banana

Theres 24 acres backing onto Rogerstown estuary currently up for sale on Daft. up behind Carrs Mill/ Rahillion. Price On Application.

According to the Fingal Development plan its green belt / high amenity area. ...but for how long ?
bronorton

Cannot see this, just one in Portrane

Or are they using a photo from the early 00s :D
Vlad the Impaler

I don’t see what’s wrong with asking local councillors why the LAP is being ignored.

I agree that it’s not politically correct to oppose large scale housing developments. More people oppose it than let on.
Jabba

Looks like another community action group was successful in overturning a large scale development.
Hopefully they will see sense in relation to this proposed development as well.

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-n ... k-14842184
Sleepy

Sadly, I suspect Raheny / Clontarf has a far higher number of barristers and solicitors in the area than Donabate / Portrane. We rented in that area before buying in Portrane I can think of a handful of that kind of person off the top of my head who live in Clontarf and would be happy to offer their time pro-bono to defend the area (and I suspect it would do their businesses no harm either).

It's also home to Education Minister Richard Bruton (Fine Gael) and second-generation cute-hoor Seán Haughey (Fianna Fáil).
Dreamchaser

Around min 24 - 45 are relevant. Vote for public consultation at the end

https://fingalcoco.public-i.tv/core/por ... me/1485000
jester1980

Banana wrote:Theres 24 acres backing onto Rogerstown estuary currently up for sale on Daft. up behind Carrs Mill/ Rahillion. Price On Application.

According to the Fingal Development plan its green belt / high amenity area. ...but for how long ?
Had a look there, cant see this have you link?
Ken
Site Admin

I think this is it. It's under Commercial. Located at The Burrow.

https://www.daft.ie/dublin/commercial-p ... in-634704/
Regards,

Ken.
Austy

For anyone interested, the tender for Ballymastone has just gone up on the eTenders website.

https://irl.eu-supply.com/app/rfq/publi ... lictenders

Estimated contract value - €220m
McLovin

Seems this has now changed to 80% private/ affordable and 20% social.