Burrow to Rush ferry

Discussion for Donabate/Portrane Local History
mccloughlin

Does anyone have photos or any knowledge (such as the operator / specification) of the ferry between the Burrow and Rush?
Ken
Site Admin

It's an interesting one. I've read a fair bit of local history and never heard it mentioned. I have a book by local historian Peadar Bates that I'm trying to put my hand on to see if it gets a mention.

I'd say it's going back to the early part of the last century. The advent of the motor car would have killed it off.
Regards,

Ken.
Galleryman

Any joy on this one Ken?

The Schools' Folklore Collection in UCD might be a good place to look on this one. Lots of interesting local stuff there such as 'The Smuggling Caves of Portrane' - https://www.duchas.ie/en/cbes/4498569/4 ... ID=4498569
Sleepy

Just had a flick through Peader Bates' volume and there doesn't appear to be any mention of it.
dimacgio

the Gaeilge for Donabate is Domhnach Bat (or bád) - ie; 'Sunday Boat'

I wonder if the name comes from this ferry which Ive never heard of until now?
Jabba

This post has caught my attention as an a bit of a history buff !!
Don't know anything about the ferry to Rush, but have heard about the boat that used to bring golfers from Malahide to Donabate to play golf before the road was built ?

I looked up the Island website and they have some information on it - see link below - but I had never copped that Irish translation of Donabate and from reading this extract it appears that the Island was initially founded to allow people to play golf on a Sunday ! @dimacgio might be onto something

http://www.theislandgolfclub.ie/history/
RPB81

I have heard the Gaeilge Domnach Bat could mean Bay of the Domhain as in Tuatha na Domhain the first settlers in Ireland... long straw and all that
Ken
Site Admin

Ferries between Portrane and Rush and Malahide and Donabate make sense when you think back to times before cars and paved roads. It's a pity there isn't more documented somewhere.
Regards,

Ken.