Aerial pictures of Turvey House

Discussion for Donabate/Portrane Local History
Austy

I found these on a website called Britain from Above...they claim everything!
http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/asea ... h=Donabate

Where was or where is Turvey House located?
Mr. Stupid

I think that is the house you can see from the other side of the Estuary.
patsman

Its the house that was on Turvey Golf course demolished with some controversy in 1987. this was brought up in the Flood tribunal.
Extract of report on tribunal below:
The controversial demolition of a 16th century listed building in North County Dublin has been revisited by the Flood Tribunal, which resumed public hearings today. Turvey House in Donabate was owned by the Murphy Group in 1987, when its demolition caused public outcry. Today the Tribunal has been hearing evidence from the Dublin County Council official who signed the demolition order. Tom Doherty has said that the then Assistant City and County Manager, George Redmond, had no involvement in his decision.
diggerbarnes

It doesn't exist any more. I believe the story goes that a gobshite developer razed it to the ground one night despite not having permission to do so. It's regarded as a crime against architecture as it had unique features.
Ann O
Site Admin

Turvey House was demolished in 1987, it was situated just past Beverton.

Beautiful building, sadly let become derelict :cry:

diggerbarnes

He should have been made rebuild it brick by brick. It's been done before.
Ken
Site Admin

Wow, great Find Austy. Yes, it's a terrible pity that it was knocked down. I believe not long before it was knocked down it was looted and many of the internal features were either damaged or stolen. We can't keep all such buildings in public ownership and open to the public, but I'm sure there are people willing to purchase, live in and preserve them such as with Seafield House.

We tend to protect such structures in Ireland, but do little to preserve them. Stella's castle in Portrane is one such example. I fear what will happen to St. Ita's as it's difficult to see another use for the old hospital buildings which are also "protected".
Regards,

Ken.
Ken
Site Admin

Mr. Stupid wrote:I think that is the house you can see from the other side of the Estuary.
No, that's Seafield House that's in private ownership.

http://www.buildingsofireland.ie/niah/s ... o=11336024
Regards,

Ken.
Quello Serio

I think that was one ugly house. They should have stuck the roof on and gone home when the first floor was finished.
jayflame

A great find there Austy.

Would be great if there could be any old photos of Donabate and Portrane recorded online somewhere.

The Turvey House aeriel pictures appear to be of two separate houses taken 1 year apart. I wonder where the older looking house would be, if still in existence.

The one that was demolished I calculate to being around here;
http://tinyurl.com/kak7skh

Its a sin to demolish a house like the first, but the second.....

I am interested in the history and its future of where I live and have grown to love.
Last edited by jayflame on 19 Oct 2014, 15:26, edited 1 time in total.
Ken
Site Admin

You're link doesn't appear to be working Jayflame. I don't recognise the second house at all. Hopefully it is still in existence.
Regards,

Ken.
jayflame

Ken wrote:You're link doesn't appear to be working Jayflame.
OK, amended link and tested in all browsers, it works.

If it doesn't for whatever reason, paste the following into Google Maps search

53°29'48.8"N 6°10'34.0"W
Ken
Site Admin

Hi Jayflame,

Take a look at the map on www.osi.ie. You can superimpose the current map over the old maps. The location of Turvey House was just behind where the Turvey golf club house is today.

You're close on your map, but the OSI map will show you exactly.
Regards,

Ken.
donnelbg

I think I walked past where the house is only today. If you take the walk towards the estuary hide from the allotments you will see a field on the right hand side that's artificially way higher than the surrounding fields, I wondered what it was at the time and coincedentally came across this thread today. So I reckon the remains of the house are buried under that pile?
Ken
Site Admin

The house originally stood just behind where the old Turvey Golf Club house is today. You can see its exact location compared to the club house on the OSI map linked in my last post.

Here's a snip fro the map. The grey building at the front is the current club house. The buildings in black at the rear are where Turvey House stood.
Capture.GIF
Regards,

Ken.