New Primary School Donabate 2020

A forum for our younger members
RochelleD-Jones

HI All,

They will be building a new primary school in Donabate in 2020. It is up to us the community to help influence the patronage of the school.

I personally am hoping for another Educate Together School. Its near impossible to get your child into the current school. My son was registered when he was 13months old to start school in 2021 in Donabate and he is still very unlikely to make the list. With the population growing and more families moving to the area new schools are vital.

If you feel the same and want to see another Educate Together school in Donabate please get behind the campaign and register your interest to be kept up to date with the campaign .

https://educatetogether.us2.list-manage ... 9f46fb17aa
Zo123

Signed

Where exactly is this school to be located?
aoifey

personally i think a new school should be of different patronage to the current schools. Not everyone is happy with the methods in educate Together just as not everyone is happy with the methods in the Catholic schools.

There are other forms of patronage such as the Community National School run by the VEC which would give more balance and options to people.
Seamus

And don't forget about the possibility of a Gaelscoil. We already have an educate together school here. The next one should have a different patronage such as an ETB as you suggest Aoifey or a Gaelscoil.
RochelleD-Jones

I am not fully sure where the new school will be build as there are mention of 3new school sites in the development plan. So not fully sure which they will be .

Just wanted to point out this is a personal preference but I am more than happy for others to also use this thread to include information on what they would prefer for a new primary school and include links etc .
Ken
Site Admin

I believe it will be in the Ballymastone development.
Regards,

Ken.
Zo123

Is 2020 not a bit optimistic so?
I'd imagine the housing in that development will start and finish before a school?
TheBlowIn

Zo123 wrote: 01 Mar 2019, 18:37 Is 2020 not a bit optimistic so?
I'd imagine the housing in that development will start and finish before a school?
Probably optimistic. I think it's more lilkely that the Educate Together or Scoil Phadraig schools would be extended to cope with current demand, with a new school dedicated to Ballymastone as it is built.

A Gaelscoil sounds like a good idea to spread the partronage around.
Seamus

TheBlowIn wrote: 03 Mar 2019, 22:44
Probably optimistic. I think it's more lilkely that the Educate Together or Scoil Phadraig schools would be extended to cope with current demand, with a new school dedicated to Ballymastone as it is built.

From a quick look at the local area plan in section 6.1.2 which deals with schools, there are plans for three new primary schools and one new secondary school. These sites are at Corballis, Spires East (also referred to as Ballymastone - Southern section) and Ballymastone - northeastern section.

Based on the phasing for development in Donabate contained in the local area plan at section 9.1., the lands at Turvey, Rahillion and Corballis West are to be developed in Phase one, the lands at Corballis West and a portion of Corballis West and Spires East are to be developed in Phase 2 and the remainder of Corballis East and Ballymastone are to be developed in Phase 3.

Based on these zonings and the locations of the schools marked out on the map at Figure 6.1, the order of construction of the schools should be:

1. Spires East

2. Corballis West

3. Ballymastone
Vlad the Impaler

A gaelscoil would be a great option.

Having a second language at an early age is a great head start for kids and makes it easier to learn other languages later.
RochelleD-Jones

Seamus wrote: 04 Mar 2019, 12:46
TheBlowIn wrote: 03 Mar 2019, 22:44

From a quick look at the local area plan in section 6.1.2 which deals with schools, there are plans for three new primary schools and one new secondary school. These sites are at Corballis, Spires East (also referred to as Ballymastone - Southern section) and Ballymastone - northeastern section.

Based on the phasing for development in Donabate contained in the local area plan at section 9.1., the lands at Turvey, Rahillion and Corballis West are to be developed in Phase one, the lands at Corballis West and a portion of Corballis West and Spires East are to be developed in Phase 2 and the remainder of Corballis East and Ballymastone are to be developed in Phase 3.

Based on these zonings and the locations of the schools marked out on the map at Figure 6.1, the order of construction of the schools should be:

1. Spires East

2. Corballis West

3. Ballymastone

I just found this online, suggests the first will be Corballis lands.

https://www.independent.ie/regionals/fi ... 66742.html
Zo123

Is the Corballis school definitely West not East?
Corballis West doesn't seem like it has much room for anything other than residential.
Attachments
Screenshot_20190110-211132.jpg
Depaor

Has the Department of Education reneged on its previously promised democratic patronage process where parents could choose the form of education for their children? If so this is something that should be rejected and a request for a fair democratic process be restored.

The Minister needs to honour the Departments original commitment to allow parents a decision on the form of education for our children as was done in last year’s competition, this includes a say on patronage, language and ethos- each impacting on the other.

It is unacceptable that democracy has been removed and the outcome predetermined by the Minister. Many parents are aggrieved that the original 16 teacher school has been removed for a school half the size to allow for a niche area reflecting the Ministers personal choice at the cost of school places for our children.

It is gravely concerning how a democratic process has been undone to make way for a Ministers own personal preference and giving a vote and voice to the wider community ignored. There are parents who do not wish for an Irish medium school. They are concerned as they themselves do not have the language and don’t feel capable of navigating their child’s education through it. Others have little or no Irish and have no desire to acquire it or for their children to acquire it, preferring an English medium school. As someone involved in education and Irish-medium education at a senior level in education I’m too aware of the difficulties Gaelscoileanna experience. Staff shortages- difficulties recruiting teachers from a small pool and difficulties retaining them. Newly qualified teachers are deterred as they do not wish to do their induction and planning in these schools. They have difficulties recruiting principals as difficulties with the Irish patron body and parents associated with them are well known in education circles and deter candidates. Gaelscoileanna unfortunately have a reputation, deserved or not, for focusing on the speaking of Irish at the detriment of education.

While predetermining school patronage in order to have a spread of school types on paper may please a spread sheet it is at the cost of democracy and can have a negative outcome. The recent Dublin 1 Gaelscoil which had a push from Irish patrons and lobbyists and was due to open 2019 failed to recruit sufficient numbers and remains closed. If democracy is ignored it comes at a price.

The Department had committed to giving parents a say to express their personal preference for their children’s education, instead this has been stripped to allow for a Ministers personal preference, it is requested that this be reconsidered and for a democratic process to be restored.

The request to restore a democratic process does not preclude from there being a Gaelscoil, if this is the genuine preference of the area this will be respected as should any other school type elected -be it English medium Educate Together/CNS or other.